does anyone have an '80-81 Malibu and prefer an 84 Cutty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
Even though I just picked up a warmed over 403 and th350 for the 'cutty I still am feeling awfully guilty about tearing into this car. I posted pics earlier, its got 47K on it, six banger, and the inside is like new. Other than one or two little parking lot marks, its as straight, shiney and rust free as you will ever find. Its completely stock and every part to this point has been replaced with an AC Delco part. I'm so conflicted.

I wont be doing the swap until the end of the summer anyway, I want to enjoy it for now, but ripping it up feels really wrong. I paid $3900 so its not like I stole it and its not exactly a hemi cuda either. But I betcha its worth more as it sits than it will be after I put the 403 in it. I'd feel better doing this to a Malibu. Anyone?

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
omg, talk about an investment. I would cover that thing up and save it for a rainy day. That car is georgous!

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
outsider_27 said:
That would be a pretty involved swap. I'd find another Cutlass with a tired 260 or 307, that would be a direct bolt in swap. Keep this one stock, it will run good for a long time to come.

It should be a bolt in. The 403 uses 307 mounts and all brackets. Same headers and radiator also. The local boneyard has multiple cars for me to grab this stuff. The th350 is already attached to the back of the motor. I have neither the room for two cars, nor the cash, even though I could find another beat up cutty for a lot less, I have no place to put it.

If someone has the dough to stash this for a rainy day please offer me something close to what I paid and I'd feel better knowing it was going to be in a better place.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Lol, how much did you pay? I am always looking for another Cutlass. :D

Going from a v6 to a v8 isnt exactly a bolt in. The fuel lines and everything for a v6 is on the opposite side that it is in a factory v8 car. So you will have some adjustments to make in that regard.

But if you take your time, you can make it look factory. Many have done it. Some have hacked it though.

I agree though, that is a really sharp car. Burgundy interior? I would definitely get another less clean car to change out.

One other thought, I dont know what kind of emissions your state has, but if you have it, they will look at the vin, see that it is originally a v6 car and see that it has a v8 and could possibly fail you for that.

Just thoughts.

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
No, Mass just changed the emisions laws to only test cars 1995 and up, so there shouldn't be any problem anymore. It used to be a problem, but not anymore in Mass.

I would go ahead and do it. These cars are not getting the monies that they someday may. A V-6 cutlass is just not going to be worth that much more money in 10 or 20 years. A 442, probably will increase or a decked out V-8 with t-tops maybe. But not a plain jane V-6. go ahead and do it.

I picked up a mint red v-6 87 cutlass with 45k miles a year or so ago. I had to do a few mechanicals and change out the brake lines but other than that she is beautiful. She even rides like a young car. We use this car for when we go on long trips in the summer mostly.
I probably wouldn't hesitate changing out the v-6, but since I have another older car, the cutlass will stay as a long hauler, vacation fun car, and with the v-6 she gets descent gas mileage.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I did what could be thought of as a "Factory Swap" with my car years ago. I had the disgusting V6 in it, and put in a Chevy 350 using all the right parts down to the wiring harness and the smallest brackets. It looks like a pretty stock car under the hood, but I don't have the burden of driving it with the underpowered stock engine. Most people would think it was a 305 to look at it, but I like it that way.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Larryg said:
outsider_27 said:
That would be a pretty involved swap. I'd find another Cutlass with a tired 260 or 307, that would be a direct bolt in swap. Keep this one stock, it will run good for a long time to come.

It should be a bolt in. The 403 uses 307 mounts and all brackets. Same headers and radiator also. The local boneyard has multiple cars for me to grab this stuff. The th350 is already attached to the back of the motor. I have neither the room for two cars, nor the cash, even though I could find another beat up cutty for a lot less, I have no place to put it.

If someone has the dough to stash this for a rainy day please offer me something close to what I paid and I'd feel better knowing it was going to be in a better place.

If it has a six cylinder it will not be a direct bolt it. The wiring for the starter and the fuel lines are on the opposite sides from the 3.8 to the Olds v8s.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
Re: does anyone have an '80-81 Malibu and prefer an 84 Cutty

Larryg said:
Even though I just picked up a warmed over 403 and th350 for the 'cutty I still am feeling awfully guilty about tearing into this car. I posted pics earlier, its got 47K on it, six banger, and the inside is like new. Other than one or two little parking lot marks, its as straight, shiney and rust free as you will ever find. Its completely stock and every part to this point has been replaced with an AC Delco part. I'm so conflicted.

I wont be doing the swap until the end of the summer anyway, I want to enjoy it for now, but ripping it up feels really wrong. I paid $3900 so its not like I stole it and its not exactly a hemi cuda either. But I betcha its worth more as it sits than it will be after I put the 403 in it. I'd feel better doing this to a Malibu. Anyone?

I fell the same way about my 87 Cutlass, V6 Low miles and I'm only the second owner. I don't want to tear her up and do any swaping unless her motor goes bad. Very unlikely though at this point.

I do crave the torque every time I drive her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor