Doing work for other people

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Kind of a random question to ask here but I know a lot of guys on here do work for other people on the side or full time.

My dad will be doing a complete paint job on a friend of his' 67 Barracuda. Its a pretty solid car but needs redone. His friend brought up the fact that he needed to find someone to do the brakes, suspension, and other work to get the car running and driving. That caught my interest and I told him I was interested in doing it.

He is going from drum to disc front and rear, tubular/lowered suspension, 408 stroker crate engine, etc.... Basically everything he is buying is in a kit and "bolt in", he just needs someone to install it all. Obviously it's never that easy but after building 2 cars from the ground up im not new to that deal at all.

My question is how do I come up with a price for him if I do it? It would be a spare time project that gets done while my dad is doing the paint and body work. The guy obviously has money and doesn't want to cut corners. He will be bringing it over this weekend hopefully for my dad to start it and I know the question of money is coming.

Anybody have any advice?

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I wonder about this too when I get asked to do work for others. From what I have been researching $75/hour was a good rate around 2012, I've decided to start there for those that ask, I can find plenty of work for myself to do for free.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Friends or family = no good. I'd rather work for a complete stranger, and become friends later.
Especially friends that don't have the money to pay you anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
In my business when friends suggest they get a deal cause we are friends I remind them friendship goes both ways so why not be a good friend and pay me double.......with a car it's hard to put a guess on how many hours it'll take you cause of the problems you can run into with an older car.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
The thing is when a different noise comes up from a part of the car that you did not touch it kind of becomes your fault because they didn't hear it until you worked on the car.

This is why I try to avoid it when I can.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for it's just been my experience.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
My dad did this awhile back on 2 different cars for his boss. He had an 87 gn that his boss smacked the front nose on. My dad realigned the whole nose and did the dent/paint repair plus some other misc stuff. Few years later he restored the boss's 75 vette that had been sitting for quite a few years neglected. replaced both bumper f/r all bodywork and paint,brakelines,ful tuneupand dressup on engine,full resto on interior. basically the total package. he gave my boss an hourly rate,kept full log of the hours he spent each day , full list of parts needed with prices so the boss can see his options. sometime the boss would order the parts or let my dad handle it. My dad handed over copies of all the purchase orders for the parts and supplies. once it was all said and done he showed the boss the total and it was easy as that. I would say that would be the simplest way for you and your dad also. just keep a log and keep the friend in the loop on progress. if he is ordering his own stuff that may simplify the cost issues purchasing on big ticket items

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
My dad did this awhile back on 2 different cars for his boss. He had an 87 gn that his boss smacked the front nose on. My dad realigned the whole nose and did the dent/paint repair plus some other misc stuff. Few years later he restored the boss's 75 vette that had been sitting for quite a few years neglected. replaced both bumper f/r all bodywork and paint,brakelines,ful tuneupand dressup on engine,full resto on interior. basically the total package. he gave my boss an hourly rate,kept full log of the hours he spent each day , full list of parts needed with prices so the boss can see his options. sometime the boss would order the parts or let my dad handle it. My dad handed over copies of all the purchase orders for the parts and supplies. once it was all said and done he showed the boss the total and it was easy as that. I would say that would be the simplest way for you and your dad also. just keep a log and keep the friend in the loop on progress. if he is ordering his own stuff that may simplify the cost issues purchasing on big ticket items
Thanks for the advice. I think this would be the best way to go.

Buckeye79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2017
Crestline, Ohio
I do a lot of side work here and for most I charge $40-$60 an hour unless it's family, then I just ask for beer and food.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Tell him to get three (3) estimates from quality/recommended shops and ask to see them. This will: A) Temper his expectations and B) Give you an idea of what a fully equipped shop will do it for.

Once you have seen the estimates, average them out, and subtract 25% (because you don't have the overhead). This is now your estimate, so when you have cost overruns for smalls or unforeseen complications that extra 10% isn't going to bother the client. At the end of the day he saves ~15%. Also double check his work/purchases and do your research - better hope you have all the speciality tools and know-how required.

Personally I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor