RACING Drag and Drive Events 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Was looking at the Power Tour trip, would be 3k miles in 9 days.... oof

I'd suggest taking a day or two at the beginning and end just to relax to get there and get home also. I'd book hotels within 30 miles of the venue the night after. Basically it's drive to venue 8am-12noon, go to show 12noon to 5pm, show closes, drive to hotel and check in, re-ice the cooler, grab food, go back to hotel and chat with people at the hotel parking lot. If you are close enough to the venue you will have fellow PowerTour'ers in the parking lot.

Dad and I tried to drive all day from Minneapolis area to maybe an hour outside of Indy for day 3 last year and it was a lot, especially since it absolutely downpoured for most of the day. Kinda ended up at Indy tired and never caught up. Then drove from Champaign to Minneapolis again on the last day after we left the show at 3pm.

EDIT:

So I've only gone to power tour twice, but my thoughts are-
I went for the day to spectate in 2017, venue was hot and dusty. Bring a cooler with water, drinks, a chair and sandwiches.

I only went 3 of the 5 days last year, that was enough for me. Long haul is cool just to say you did it, but after 3 days I saw enough cars. 50% of the cars are the same every day and 50% are new for 1 or 2 stops. Probably 1/3 of the cars on the trip are boring, stock, newish 2005+ Challengers, mustangs, or camaros anyways so they aren't worth looking at.

There is drag racing at a few stops which is cool but it's zero prep and long lines. Most run slower than 14's since everyone is on street tires. Only people running faster than 13's were hellcats on super traction control that pour the power in past the 330ft. I watched a bit but if I want to drag and drive I'll do a drag week focused style event.

There is usually autocross but with the Rona there wasn't any for '21. They had it in '17.

Most of the fun (for me) is driving through backroads and seeing the countryside, stopping at random roadside things, seeing people wave, kids ask for a burnout or something. Hot Rod provides a route and I suggest taking it. You can cut some time off going on the highway but it's boring. 1 of the 2 drive days I did last year were really boring (Indy to STL) and on the interstate for most of the time.

The drive from STL to Champaingn was much better/cooler.

Getting to the show grounds early (within 45 mins of opening) is worth it, otherwise you get packed WAAAY in the back and spend all your time walking to the front of the grounds for bathrooms, food, specating the autocross or drag racing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I agree with your complaints Jake. And I definitely don't want to be complaining, but you're correct. Some of the rules bending for big names is annoying, but it seems helpful for more events popping up.

Have you seen any of Steve Morris' daily updates? He has a fan that is not working and the issue that is being created by traffic lights.

I love watching him run though.

This is the natural order of things. I believe that is a balance between the elites improving the draw or the event living/dying on its own merits. I just enjoyed being part of the circus. Heck, I just showed my BIL and oldest daughter archived livestream footage of me running DW2016 - it does impress people just to be present and participate. Seeing the record runs by "street cars" is exciting even if it is a bit of a fallacy.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oh hey theres a stick class this year! I guess there's motivation to get the 2+2 ironed out!

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Can't get time off for nothing where I work so it's a no from me.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Can't get time off for nothing where I work so it's a no from me.
Do you realise everyone is hiring and community colleges are offering a free ride for technical programs? You are living in the land of opportunity young man! I would quit working for a factory and start a career.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Do you realise everyone is hiring and community colleges are offering a free ride for technical programs? You are living in the land of opportunity young man! I would quit working for a factory and start a career.

Or maybe just answer the calling?

But, it might conflict with ballet and violin lessons.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Last year i did the platinum club that got all the hotels and they had a dinner one night and snacks at every location. It was a nice package and i got it again this year. I really didnt want to have to find a hotel for each night when you are bouncing around from town to town each day. Did the same for this years trip. Although havent decided if im taking my intimidator monte carlo this year or my boys Cutlass. Heaven help his little 260 if we take it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
March 12th at 9am registration begins - practice typing fast ;)

Some new rules as well. It appears that they want more of the side by side racing seen during Sick Week. And I can't get into my class with without an 8.5 cert and license.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
March 12th at 9am registration begins - practice typing fast ;)

Some new rules as well. It appears that they want more of the side by side racing seen during Sick Week. And I can't get into my class with without an 8.5 cert and license.

Interesting developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor