Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Indiana is it's own state!!! :p

The drive from STL to Indy isn't short
Indy to Byron is a haul
Byron to Cordova is a cakewalk
Cordova to STL is decent
Ok. But what does Indiana have to do with Illipnos where Drag Week is? I must've missed something.

I drove 4 hours the other day at 75mph and was still in NY. And that's nothing. Where my relatives live in norethern NY, to where I drove would've been 8 hours, all in NYS at highway speeds.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ok. But what does Indiana have to do with Illipnos where Drag Week is? I must've missed something.

I drove 4 hours the other day at 75mph and was still in NY. And that's nothing. Where my relatives live in norethern NY, to where I drove would've been 8 hours, all in NYS at highway speeds.
Not following Shawn.

Yes one can drive for 10 straight hours and never leave NY from Jamestown to Montauk at 75mph??

Have to follow a route with checkpoints on the DW drives, and be assured that it won't be interstates unless the the drive is over 450 miles. At least that's what they have done for the last several - plenty of secondary roads. In 2019, because the tracks were so close to together from Richmond to Atco, the routes were insane. There was more 30mph driving than 65. Being that the routes were not announced before hand, by the time the 1st 50 cars make it through some back town, people are sitting at the end of their driveways in lawn chairs waving. For Christ's sake, my kid did a burnout for some small town cop in VA at the cop's asking. And based on the road, he had been there for a while getting the guys in front of us to do one for him.

My mention of 80 mph through cornfields were truly secondary roads. The most enjoyable part of Indiana is the smoothness and straightness of the roads. They are nothing like the secondary roads in NY and N/E PA.

Byron and Cordova are in Illinois, and Lucas and WWE are in Indiana.

And personally, I'll take straight and smooth back roads rather than the sh*t around Philly and Baltimore any day. Just sayin'

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
vanrah hope to see you again at Byron - I promise to do better!!

• Happy

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I look forward to getting back to Byron and not being in a rush to leave. And also driving on secondary roads through cornfields at 80mph pulling a trailer lol.

Hope you can talk the little lady into it Jake, look forward to you going.

Byron to Cordova is a BEAUTIFUL drive, honestly one of the nicest drives I know is carving along the Mississippi between IA and IL. Either way if you drive Hwy 20 from Byron to Dubuque and then take Hwy 52 south to the QC or jump south and take ILL Hwy 52 through Mt. Carrol and Savannah IL is awesome. We do that every year for Drag weekend and the promoter basically has no motivation to find a different track set because it's that fun of a drive.

It's a short drive and I hope Freiberger will make a scenic trip.

I have the urge to race but even if I don't race I will 100% break the rules and 'Sick ward' spectate at Byron and Cordova. Get a hotel near there, parking lot party, ect.

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Byron to Cordova is a BEAUTIFUL drive, honestly one of the nicest drives I know is carving along the Mississippi between IA and IL. Either way if you drive Hwy 20 from Byron to Dubuque and then take Hwy 52 south to the QC or jump south and take ILL Hwy 52 through Mt. Carrol and Savannah IL is awesome. We do that every year for Drag weekend and the promoter basically has no motivation to find a different track set because it's that fun of a drive.

It's a short drive and I hope Freiberger will make a scenic trip.

I have the urge to race but even if I don't race I will 100% break the rules and 'Sick ward' spectate at Byron and Cordova. Get a hotel near there, parking lot party, ect.
We sold my Grandmother's house In Cordova a few years ago. My Mother grew up in that area. I know it well. Maybe some day I will grow up and try something like this? I always said I was going to take the Nova to Cordova for the mucelcar weekend. My dad used to race there when he was a kid. When I was a kid I used to ride up to the highway on Saturday night and watch drag cars go by.

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
For those of you who really like punishing yourselves and are going on drag week you can actually do a drag racing WEEK (7 days) and tack on 2 additional days. That's either 8 racing days in 7 days or 7 racing days in 7 days.

Drag Week ends in St. Louis on the 23rd. If you skip awards you can drive back to Cordova and join Drag Weekend Friday night, or just drive to the hotel near Cordova for the night and then go back to race in Byron Saturday and Tri-State raceway in IA Sunday.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Power Tour looks cool on TV, but not sure how much of a cluster F* it might actually be in real life. I looked up the driving time/distance and Miles of Mayhem is actually closer to me than PT! and that event actually might be more enjoyable with fewer participants and traffic. I probably can't make it to any of them this year, but I might spectate at Rocky Mountain Raceweek when the stop comes to Bandimere. I missed it last year due to work. The current motor in my car would be an embarrassment on RMW as a participant.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
. The current motor in my car would be an embarrassment on RMW as a participant.

It’s more about the good time than going fast imo.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
An old casual friend of mine is doing this trip this week(and did it last year):
too late for this year, but may be something to consider for the future.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Power Tour looks cool on TV, but not sure how much of a cluster F* it might actually be in real life. I looked up the driving time/distance and Miles of Mayhem is actually closer to me than PT! and that event actually might be more enjoyable with fewer participants and traffic. I probably can't make it to any of them this year, but I might spectate at Rocky Mountain Raceweek when the stop comes to Bandimere. I missed it last year due to work. The current motor in my car would be an embarrassment on RMW as a participant.

I forgot how close powertour would be this year... had too much going on mid winter to even think about it.

Now, come to realize we would likely be entirely moved and done when it's going on.

I know I wouldn't take one of the 3 regals on the trip. Only one I'd be willing to risk in hotel parking lots and such would need too much before I'd think of doing a long haul in it.... and if we went, that's the only way I'd try it.

That leaves me with a mix of spare parts and late model stuff you see everywhere you go. The yukon makes the power to fit the bill, as do the mustang gts. But you see those everywhere and the yukon is more a tower than a racer and nobody who really know what it was about if it rolled by. The v6 mustangs are lightly modded and probably push the gross hp as net by now. But still common and boring. And it wouldn't feel right to send an import (either benz).

The firebird or c10 *could* be thrown together using spare parts lying around.

I've got a 94 tbi350/4l80(2wd) in my creeper van as a donor vehicle

C10 brakes suk (have new stuff I could use), the 90k mile inline runs well enough but the trans leaks fluid on grade. And i only run ethanol free whichbmay be a tough find. Other than that it's ugly but entertaining. Wonder if they do tech aside from your helmet requirements on the track/cross portions, and if so, how they would care about a passenger door that falls 1/2 off when you open due to one broken hinge and one half cracked? :LOL: :unsure: But the 350 would drop in on the inline mounts, rad is updated HD, has an interesting look, and if I cared about baffled tank I could throw in an 87 tbi c10 tank from the garage piles, thats about an hour project, nothing big. Going that route could probably use the van wiring and computer, just get an xmember for the 4l80. GPS would give speedometer readings. Swap itself is probably a weekend to drop into space.

Firebird has been required to sit untouched as evidence from 5/27/17 until 4/28/22, a month shy of 5 years..... has it been that long? It used to burn oil, badly. When parked rear brakes were out leading to events giving rise to the AAA tow that caused the law suit. Other than that and tires, everything at the time worked. Paint burned off and dash got one thin crack in the middle while stored. I've got pirelli take off tires I could repurpose on some 18s. The tbi 350 would drop in. $120 summit radiator for peace of mind and a weekend on the brakes it could go, assuming the 700 transmission was happy after the car fell. Trans being the wild card.

Have to file this one under things that make you go hmmm. Might be the last easy shot at a long haul trip for a long time. Easy thing would be enjoy the shows and experience by flogging a late model mustang, but that feels boring. :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor