Ecm harness and removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Not really worried about mpg

If that's the case, swap in a 454 out of a truck. Last I heard you can do that in Nevada, it's smog legal as long as the truck is the same or later year as your car. (Not legal in California.)

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
This has been asked about and gone over so many times. Maybe someone should post a sticky on this topic. People keep coming in, apparently without bothering to do a search and find out how many threads there have been on this. And I for one keep biting .... :mrgreen:
....and if you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't be trying it.

Reactions: 1 users

Javi702

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2020
Las vegas
You could delete the ECM but on a 231 V6 it will likely be a cobble job, run like crap and end up costing you more money in the end. I would keep it as is.
How do you plan to lock up the torque converter and control idle without an ECM?
Is it really that bad? Cuz my intentions with the car is a lowrider cruiser and front what I seen on g body lowriders they almost always have the ecm harness ripped out so I figured there must be a way to get it to run smooth with the computer

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm Nevada so I have no issue with emmisions

I think you should take a look at the laws

Exempt Vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from emission testing:

• New motor vehicles on their first and second registration.
  • New hybrid-electric vehicles for the first 5 model years.
  • 1967 or older.
  • Motorcycle or moped.
  • Vehicles based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe counties and all other Nevada counties (see Testing Areas or call us).
  • Alternative fuel vehicles.
  • Diesel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 14,001 pounds or greater.
  • Transfer of ownership/registration if the last test was conducted within 90 days before the transfer (180 days on a Nevada dealer sale).
  • Transfer of ownership/registration between husband and wife.
  • Transfer of ownership/registration between companies whose principal business is leasing vehicles if there is no change in the lessee or operator of the vehicle.
  • Vehicles registered as a Classic Rod, Classic Vehicle or Old Timer and driven 5,000 miles or less per year.
  • Vehicles registered as a Replica Vehicle.
  • Fleet vehicles participating in the Continuous Monitoring program.

"Classic Vehicle
Vehicles which were manufactured at least 25 years before application and have not been customized."

• Informative

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
You are much better off keeping everything intact than deleting the computer. Going old school reduces MPGs, reduces power, and costs alot of money.
This answers my question about the value of the 22,000 V6 that I will remove for my LS swap... I should get rid of it because it won't run well with old school carb/distributor.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This answers my question about the value of the 22,000 V6 that I will remove for my LS swap... I should get rid of it because it won't run well with old school carb/distributor.
Nah.

Check into the setup off a 1980 229. It was a m2me carb without electronic controls on the carb from the factory. Actually rated an extra 5hp, although that's not saying a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor