Edelbrock Perfomer kits?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
The engine in my 82 regal is from a 1975 Chevy C-20 truck. It is a 350sb. It seems pretty good right now but it has the stock heads with a performer intake. I have no idea what it has for a cam, and don't know how to really tell.

How much horsepower would I be looking at with the Edelbrock kit? The engine is almost a newly rebuilt bored .30 over from what the guy told me.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
which kit?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Also, what is the static compression ratio of the engine? If it's a mid 70's truck engine it could be as bad as 7.5:1 in reality ( rated 8.5:1). A bigger cam will kill cylinder pressure if you do not change the pistons or go to smaller chamber heads.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Also, what is the static compression ratio of the engine? If it's a mid 70's truck engine it could be as bad as 7.5:1 in reality ( rated 8.5:1). A bigger cam will kill cylinder pressure if you do not change the pistons or go to smaller chamber heads.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. I might be better off getting a 350 or better engine from the junk yard and work on that. This way I have a spare engine and it will be fresh.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what you can do is measure how far below deck height the pistons are at TDC and use a good liquid measuring device to see how much water the pistons hold (assuming they're D-dished. you can use this and the head volume to get your compression. most 350's have 7.5-8.5:1 CR so getting another one won't necessarily help.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I also like to use the ghetto goodness of a pirate copy of Dyno 2000. It lets me experiment on the computer for free to predict trends in engine performance. I used it to test 10 cams from different manufacturers before choosing the one that provided the most torque. These programs can be pretty accurate if they allow flow bench data inputs. Mine does, and I pulled the data points off a Chevy High Performance article on my heads. This allowed me to use more accurate numbers than the generic ones in the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor