EFI fuel pump, problems being too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I'm getting ready to buy the fuel pump module and my options are 255Lph or 350Lph. I figured to just buy the bigger pump in case I wanna make changes later, but would like some of your opinions on it.
My engine is probably 450hp or less, so the 255Lph is plenty, but if I added injectors/turbo would the 350Lph be enough pump for any significant boost(10lb) or would I need a bigger pump than that anyway? Will the bigger pump cause problems with tuning, unnecessary bad mpg, too rich afr,and too high pressures? The price difference is negligible, so that's not really a concern.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Won't hurt a thing going with the larger pump, you won't notice a difference at all

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Agree with Streetbu

For a single there is no reason to go with anything smaller than a Walbro 450. For the price and effort required, it's truly a performing and reliable pump. I'd recommend steering clear of the Holley 'drop in' setups only because the majority of the price is for the name. But to each his own - I'm sure the Holley will work.

Regarding a 450 being enough for 10 psi - I would say that is the safe limit with a reasonably sized turbo on a 300-400ci motor. Really need more information on the setup to make an educated recommendation with boost.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The drop ins work very well and keep the noise inside the tank. That's what I'm using. If you plan on pushing some boost, you may need more though

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
FUEL FLOW (GPH) = 0.0226 x HP / TE. You can assume a TE between 27% to 29% for most IC engines.

Gallons x 3.78541 to convert to liters.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm running an Aeromotive 340 and its plenty of power for my sauced up 5.3 as is. Cory has twin 340's in his Monte. His LSA setup is running about 13lbs of boost at 700whp and the twin 340's do just fine. They are staged in the tune on his Holley Terminator.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Too big and you run the risk of overwhelming the return line. But I have a 340 in the tank of my 97 K3500 dually and it's not causing any pressure creep at low demands. I could have gone smaller, but I went with the AEM as the local shop was having issues with other brands and they got me that one in a day for the same price as online.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Depending what efi sender you get it may or may not be in wired to supply the amperage a big pump demands. I don't know what Holley does. I assume it's designed to supply the bigger pump but I don't know, never seen one in person.

At high pressure a 450 pump can draw more amps then the stock efi turbo Buick or efi Monte sender can honestly supply. Pulling big gauge wire from the battery/relay bank under hood is fine but the small OEM style sender wiring is suspect to get hot or result in enough voltage drop that the pump will not pump it's full capacity.

From a flow sense 3/8 or #6 hose will flow enough for a single 525, beyond that the flow velocity gets high and it takes a lot of additional pressure at the pump to get the desired flow at the engine. Below a 525 the pumping loss is not significant.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Won't hurt a thing going with the larger pump, you won't notice a difference at all
Thank you sir. This was my initial gut feeling, but I started googling, which only led me to question the decision more. 😆
It's about the last part I have to buy to get it running. I know you've had 1 in the Malibu without problems for awhile so that's great to know.
Too big and you run the risk of overwhelming the return line. But I have a 340 in the tank of my 97 K3500 dually and it's not causing any pressure creep at low demands. I could have gone smaller, but I went with the AEM as the local shop was having issues with other brands and they got me that one in a day for the same price as online.
Awesome that's what I was wandering if the bigger pump would cause. Now I'm on to deciding between the holley drop in kit or build my own.
Agree with Streetbu

For a single there is no reason to go with anything smaller than a Walbro 450. For the price and effort required, it's truly a performing and reliable pump. I'd recommend steering clear of the Holley 'drop in' setups only because the majority of the price is for the name. But to each his own - I'm sure the Holley will work.

Regarding a 450 being enough for 10 psi - I would say that is the safe limit with a reasonably sized turbo on a 300-400ci motor. Really need more information on the setup to make an educated recommendation with boost.
I appreciate the advice. I try to be anti drop in or all in 1 kits buying guy, but It's the same price as a new stock style setup actually cheaper.
I can build a new setup ... efi tank,modified sender,450,boost reference fpr for about 550$ without buying Chinesium fpr/pump.
So the returnless drop-in module seemed to make the most sense @ 450$. They even have some replacement parts for them, but the fpr isnt boost referenced. And the pump may be too small anyway But.....
I've also read internet stories of guys getting away with a returnless system w/o boost referencing fpr at lower boost levels <15psi, and running 10-14psi with aø 350lph looks doable According to my mAtH. I'm assuming they rate it at 40psi, so @58psi it should be around 300lph. This is a guess since I dont know how to come up with the exact conversion.
The engine is a 6.0/706 heads, ss2 cam, LT headers, 50/lb@58psi injectors, returnless rails ,gen 3 truck intake. No turbo currently, but I'd probably put something like the vsr7875 on next yr.I never considered the drop in modules fpr not being boost referenced and the difference in what power a pump can supply N/A vs FI until today.
Depending what efi sender you get it may or may not be in wired to supply the amperage a big pump demands. I don't know what Holley does. I assume it's designed to supply the bigger pump but I don't know, never seen one in person.

At high pressure a 450 pump can draw more amps then the stock efi turbo Buick or efi Monte sender can honestly supply. Pulling big gauge wire from the battery/relay bank under hood is fine but the small OEM style sender wiring is suspect to get hot or result in enough voltage drop that the pump will not pump it's full capacity.

From a flow sense 3/8 or #6 hose will flow enough for a single 525, beyond that the flow velocity gets high and it takes a lot of additional pressure at the pump to get the desired flow at the engine. Below a 525 the pumping loss is not significant.
Thanks, I've seen your video on the efi tank and bulkhead wiring. Very good stuff. If I go the stock style route, I'll definitely be copying your bulkhead wiring upgrade. Anybody who is should check this video out.

81cutlass is giving oldsofb a run for best forum youtube channel. I didnt find it until a few months ago, has a bunch of good info.
We should have something easy onsite to compile the channels on here so they're easy to find.
It's funny, I've had my mind made up on what to buy for a year, but when the time comes I'm trying to change it.
If I had no desire to upgrade later, the drop in would be a no Brainer but I highly doubt that will be the case.
I'm either gonna get the 350lph kit or build my own, I'm undecided but leaning towards the kit still.
Thanks for the advice fellers, if you have any more regarding the use of the 350lph kit on a turbo setup I'm all ears.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you haven’t bought the parts yet, then steer clear of the return less rails or a non-return system if you’re going to boost it. Not being able to boost reference the FP is a giant PITA tuning situation. And then you need to be able PWM the pump as well which is a bunch more money.

What’s the reason for choosing/wanting a returnless setup?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor