Efi in the aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Their pricing is somewhat misleading. By the time I added the "options" that I'd need for my car the price pretty much doubled. Looks like a simple, basic kit though.

Yeah. You add in the trans controller, etc, you're over a grand. Still...It's an option. There was hardly anything out there for the 2-bbl 231 until I stumbled across these guys. As I said, eventually I want to do a Caddy twin-turbo V-6, but in the meantime, I might do one of these so I can at least drive it around.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
:DYou can do a pretty thorough 2bbl rebuild for $1300.:D

Reactions: 1 user

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I've heard too many negatives about the various aftermarket EFI systems so do not believe them to be very reliable . Too many stories of parts failing within a few hundred miles. Strangly, people seem to be OK with that too cuz the makers of the EFI system send them out replacement parts for free. Whoopti freaking doo! Another made in China part to replace my other made in China part! Certainly worth the down time and the PITA of being stranded somewhere cuz a part that shouldn't have failed did!!!

I would like to go EFI, I can swing the cost. I just don't trust them. And even if you have one running great, how long will it last before bigger and more expensive parts start to fail? Too soon to tell if these things can take the rigors of daily driving for a long period of time.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
And to specifically answer the OP's question, there are many different TBI systems out there right now. Holley Sniper seems to be pretty popular right now. Google the pros and cons of each one but they're all pretty similar.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
If the stock carb is working correctly, its hard to beat. What is it that you dislike about the carb? I just cant justify spending $1000 on a FI system for a 100 HP engine.

The sooner I can ditch the carb, the better. I hate that thing.

• Agree

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
foxtrot, I have a California car with a computer-controlled carb. Plus, I know having sat as long as it has, it's going to need a thorough cleaning if not a full rebuild. I just like the instant-start, smooth driveability, etc. with EFI. I know a properly-tuned carb can drive OK, but I'm ready to move on. I don't know how long it's going to be until I shoehorn the Caddy engine in. I just want something I can hop in and drive regularly without having to worry that it's going to stumble or stall out on me.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The Qjet on my SBO powered Regal is really responsive. When cold, also fires right up after a single pump of the gas pedal. As far as a FI upgrade, also need to acoount for the cost of the upgrade of the entire fuel system.

foxtrot, I have a California car with a computer-controlled carb. Plus, I know having sat as long as it has, it's going to need a thorough cleaning if not a full rebuild. I just like the instant-start, smooth driveability, etc. with EFI. I know a properly-tuned carb can drive OK, but I'm ready to move on. I don't know how long it's going to be until I shoehorn the Caddy engine in. I just want something I can hop in and drive regularly without having to worry that it's going to stumble or stall out on me.

• Agree

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
EFI is pricey, by the time you buy injectors, rails, intake, regulator, lines, throttle body with sensors, computer and fuel pump then tune it in. I wouldn't do it again!! The only thing l like about it is you can set it to play or cruise at a push of finger. Now my system can support up to 1200hp and cost around $3000 cad.
TBI buy the throttle body with sensors and injectors, lines and pump, scrap yard wiring harness and computer and off you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor