egr help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdizzle50

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2008
My 84 regal . failed smog. the mechanic said it had to do with my EGR System. I am no expert on engine things. but i got a new EGR valve that didnt really look designed for my car but i got it to fit fine. It is still not opening or closing. it seems like im getting pressure through the vacuum lines running into the EGR Vaccum and that other EGR computer part. i think ts called the EGR Switch. once through there, no pressure. I'm just completely lost here, any help would be appreciated. I'm planning on putting new catalytic converter too, why not.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
As GM used a large number of different engines from different families, it is hard to answer the question without knowing the year and engine the car has. It could be a Buick, Chevy, Pontiac, or Oldsmobile engine in either a V6 or a V8. Different engines used different emissions systems.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
better yet, get a pic of the EGR system.

bordercutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2008
Lloydminster Alberta/Saskatchewan
Could be the thermal switch that is supposed to operate the EGR only when the car is warmed up. Try bypassing the switch and see if the EGR will operate on vacuum straight off the carb.

kdizzle50

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2008
84 regal

Ill post some pictures up on thursday.. all i know is it is 3.8 Liter

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
3.8 V6 could be a Chevy 229 or a Buick 231. It's easy to tell which one because the Chevy has a rear distributor and the Buick has the distributor in the front.

Since it is a 1984, I will say with 99% certainty that you have a Buick engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor