EGR Valve- Low Idle Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DurtyBreed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
San Jo, Califas
So I own a 1983 Chevy El Camino, recently, I have been having issues with the car idling at very low rpm’s, the car runs when I give it gas, but it will slowly die out, it doesn’t wanna idle low, it also will do it at stop lights driving, so I have been double footing a lot to keep the motor going. it’s been a headache… as I was going through the motor trying to diagnose it I read that sometimes the EGR valve will bog down the car if there old and make for poor idles and low idle issues… I took the EGR valve off but I’ve been having trouble finding a parts number for this EGR Valve, the felpro 70950 gasket fits it perfect but I haven’t been able to find a parts number for the EGR to order another one, I ordered one of eBay that looked similar and but it didn’t fit today… it was the standard motor EGV672… the bolts were at a different width

10C7243F-48FD-4F9A-A6F3-A7F9029FC02A.jpeg
06FCA0E7-EBFC-4E31-A255-1B38E6D5F865.jpeg
CAE65466-D10F-4C0E-88E6-61F08C199B38.jpeg

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
Normally the EGR valve only opens during mid-range speeds. If it is not closing fully, then it could be leaking past the shutoff pintle. You could clean the shutoff area with some throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush. First clean the outer visible area, then apply some vacuum to open the valve and clean the seating ring.

For a quick test you could make and bolt on a plate to disable the EGR circuit.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Rockauto shows the valve is available. Valve doesn't affect idle as stated before, it is at partial open throttle to WOT. I took mine off with no changes at all, but then decided to put it back on (I don't know why). Suck on the vac port, the plunger should etract.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
2 things. If it is affecting idle put your hand on it. If it burns you it is open and should not be. If it is affecting drivability disconnect the vacuum line and see how it runs

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
A bad EGR valve can affect idle 3 different ways. As aforementioned, a stuck open valve can dillute the idle mixture with exhaust and cause stalling. Second a bad diaphragm can leak vacuum and lean the idle mixture. Third, the pintle valve stem seal can go bad and also leak vacuum. A replacement valve with incorrect specs can cause issues too.

Poor idle quality is often caused by vacuum leaks

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You never said V6 or V8, but the valve you bought, EGV672, fits a plethora of L4 and V6 AMC, Buick, Caddy and Chevys. Not Chevy V8. The gasket you have is a Chevy V8.

According to what I can find, I'm assuming you have a 305 V8, original to the vehicle. Your original part numbered EGR valve should have production number stamped on the top of 17075612. The part number in the parts catalog 30 years ago was 17079818. Going through a number of supersessions and exchanges for that valve, including 17113433, it lands as a 19210681 as the latest GM part number. It's your job to verify what you got and what you need. I'm assuming the engine that came in the car was the original 305H.

Best I can tell, this is a non-negative or non-positive pressure valve. Meaning a direct acting one. Your valve should respond instantly to a vacuum signal to open even without the valve being on the car. I'm more used to Olds V8s with the EGR solenoid, and those need to be on the car with the engine running to test with a vacuum signal because they won't respond to a simple vacuum signal when the car isn't running. I've seen people check the EGR's on Olds V8s that weren't direct acting and replaced them for no good reason. They weren't aware the valves were normal when they "leaked air" with the engine not running.

Anyway, here's a GM 9818 one on the bay.

Personally, I don't care for those aftermarket EGR valves because they weren't calibrated for the engine they were on, as they're engineered to umbrella a lot of different part numbers. You may can tune some of them with the adapter rings, and such, but I'm still a fan of ACDelco emission parts specific to the application. That's just me.

If you want to stay with the aftermarket, Standard makes a EGV435 for the 83 305H engine. If that's what you're looking for.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor