EGR

Status
Not open for further replies.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I pulled the EGR valve off my 78 Pontiac 301...it was super clogged up with carbon and the diaphram would't budge. Cleaned it up with carb cleaner, seems to be working now. That's 29 year old carbon!
By the way, I only had pinging occasionally so go figure.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Yep, it's a good idea to clean the EGR valve up every 3 or 4 years. I've had them where carbon builds up on the valve seat, not allowing the valve to close all the way. This causes poor idle and hesitation on acceleration. It's usually hard to notice if it isn't opening, other than things getting a little hotter in the summer causing some detonation. Back in the old days before emissions tests, people would just disconnect the valve and retard the timing a bit to not have to bother with it, this was especially on pre-'75 cars that used dirty burning leaded gasoline that would mess the valve up frequently.
-Mark-

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor