El Caminos and sway bars

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Looks like I'm in the market for ANY rear sway bar and bolts. The front end is nice and tight since I added radiator x brace, jounce bars and tightened the front header panel/body mounts to frame. The rear wants to roll badly in turns, the blown out air shocks don't help.
I think 88AZSS has an extra rear swaybar

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yep. Olds had F41 suspension which included rear sway bar with air shocks standard on the 83 (the air shocks were optional in 83 only) and 84 H/O and 85-87 442. That was it, though.

I cannot find any definitive information that the El C/Cab came with rear sway bar. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. Although I see no reason you couldn't install one.

The 1980 product information guide SAYS F41 was available on El Camino. Actually, it just states that it's N/A on Station Wagons. Thus I'm deducing it was available on El Camino, etc. But what I can't find, at least not yet, is what F41 meant to an El Camino. Was it just a bigger front bar or did it come with a rear bar too?

1701439020717.png

Reactions: 4 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Yep. Olds had F41 suspension which included rear sway bar with air shocks standard on the 83 (the air shocks were optional in 83 only) and 84 H/O and 85-87 442. That was it, though.

I cannot find any definitive information that the El C/Cab came with rear sway bar. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. Although I see no reason you couldn't install one.

The 1980 product information guide SAYS F41 was available on El Camino. Actually, it just states that it's N/A on Station Wagons. Thus I'm deducing it was available on El Camino, etc. But what I can't find, at least not yet, is what F41 meant to an El Camino. Was it just a bigger front bar or did it come with a rear bar too?

View attachment 231721
My 87 with f41 came with a larger diameter front bar, jounce bars, and bigger front springs. Same air shocks and springs in rear.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Yes if it doesnt cost an arm and a leg to ship it to south Florida.
see if the shipping outfit will put the label on the bar instead of trying to box it up like they do with tires.

Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've seen WAY MORE elco's (stock and otherwise)without one and i think that's because given the limp wrist'd spring rate/overall suspension weak knee'd it might induce a bit of understeer(pushing of the front tires)plus the front/rear weight bias.same reason you only see them on med-heavy duty pick ups tow packages etc etc.

Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
F41 is a RPO of which a rear sway bar was a part of the RPO. You could get what you wanted by checking the box. On some G bodies F41 was standard equipment but still listed as an RPO as in the SS's 442's and GN's. If I'm wrong let me know.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor