Emission's junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
So we just registered the boys Camino as an antique so we no longer need emissions, or cat convertor. so I am looking at lightening stuff up. I already removed the cat and put in a straight pipe, I removed the vent tubes that go in the manifold, and plan on pulling the smog pump, is there anything else I can pull to lighten the load a little, that I wont need anymore.

I live in pa so no more emission, or inspection with an antique plate.

Thanks to all.

ve3oky

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
Not sure if PA is like us up here in Ontario Canada but a FYI. Our gbody's are now old enough not to need the emissions test either BUT there still required to have it on and in working order, they can and do pull cars over to check randomly. If its not there your looking at big fines, just a heads up.

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
the last I heard 79 was the magic year here in PA. and my boys is an 80. we just registered it as an antique so we don't need anything on it. no more emission, inspection or nothing, according to penndot we can only drive it once a week, BUT they don't ask your mileage or anything so how would they know even if I did. he only plans on driving once in a while anyways, not as a daily driver.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I live in PA. I do not have antique plates but I do have regular registration. The inspection in my county (as laws are different per county) does not have emissions on any vehicle. Even newer ones. But there is a visual. So if a vehicle came with cats, it needs cats....So i hollowed them out. 8)

I guess you can always look around for a shop that lets things slide....if you know what I mean :wink:

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
Straight from the PA DOT website.....

INSPECTION

Classic vehicles are subject to an annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique vehicles operated exclusively
between sunrise and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle
Code, but must have their original lighting equipment. Antique vehicles are not subject to the annual vehicle
safety inspection. Antique and classic vehicles are not subject to emissions inspection.

so no one is ever going to know I don't have cats or emissions equipment unless I tell them..

so anyone got any info on what all I can remove to lighten things up or just clean up the engine bay a little?

Hurst79olds just a suggestion im not sure how often you drive your car but it may benefit you to plate it as antique.. maybe

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
ve3oky said:
Not sure if PA is like us up here in Ontario Canada but a FYI. Our gbody's are now old enough not to need the emissions test either BUT there still required to have it on and in working order, they can and do pull cars over to check randomly. If its not there your looking at big fines, just a heads up.

they are not required to be in working order, they just have to be there. I have my egr bonded to the vortec intake with j-b weld epoxi putty and a dead vaccum line to the carb... :mrgreen:

82Poncho

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well, what if we ask what should be bypassed or made inoperable but still left in place to make it look legal? What emission stuff is robbing power and how do you deal with? BTW here in Ontario they require emission equipment to be OEM or "equivalent" which lets you get away some stuff in a cheaper/easier way. :twisted: I am glad my GP don't have no air pump. :D

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
pontiacgp said:
ve3oky said:

they are not required to be in working order, they just have to be there. I have my egr bonded to the vortec intake with j-b weld epoxi putty and a dead vaccum line to the carb... :mrgreen:

It is both state and Fed law in the US that everything has to be there and in perfect working order. You are only exempt from having to go though emissions inspections, not from obeying the law. You can just have the parts there not working and probably get away with it but it is still very much illegal.

As for the OP, most of the emissions parts are designed not to rob any or very little power, the only things that do rob power are the AIR pump and converter. Everything else such as the computer, EVAP, Thermac don't hurt power at all. EGR keeps your motor from spark knocking.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Clone TIE Pilot said:
pontiacgp said:
ve3oky said:

It is both state and Fed law in the US that everything has to be there and in perfect working order. You are only exempt from having to go though emissions inspections, not from obeying the law. You can just have the parts there not working and probably get away with it but it is still very much illegal.

As for the OP, most of the emissions parts are designed not to rob any or very little power, the only things that do rob power are the AIR pump and converter. Everything else such as the computer, EVAP, Thermac don't hurt power at all. EGR keeps your motor from spark knocking.

I was speaking for cars in Ontario

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
mysons80elcamino said:
Straight from the PA DOT website.....

INSPECTION

Classic vehicles are subject to an annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique vehicles operated exclusively
between sunrise and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle
Code, but must have their original lighting equipment. Antique vehicles are not subject to the annual vehicle
safety inspection. Antique and classic vehicles are not subject to emissions inspection.

so no one is ever going to know I don't have cats or emissions equipment unless I tell them..

so anyone got any info on what all I can remove to lighten things up or just clean up the engine bay a little?

Hurst79olds just a suggestion im not sure how often you drive your car but it may benefit you to plate it as antique.. maybe

The last time I got my truck inspected I was picking the guys brain who did my inspection. In my county when they do the visual safety inspection for Classics, they check for cats. He said if a vehicle came factory with cats it needs them. PA laws vary per county. Like in Monroe county were I am they only do visual safety on everything. But when you go to Northampton county which is the next one south of me they do both Visual and Saftey for regular registration.....I would just call the shop were your going to go for the inspection and ask them.

Ya I would benefit from the Classic plates. Mainly for the insurance. But getting the plates is a hassle. Taking pictures, filling out forms, going to the DMV, calling classic insurance companies, etc. Is a pain in the *ss. Its easier to pay the $38 a year for registration and only put the insurance on during the month I drive it. My insurance only goes up about $15 a month when I have it on.....Lazy I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor