Engine casting number shows 1978??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Guys, I am trying to see if my 3.8 Buick turbo engine is correct for my 1979 Turbo Century. I looked up the casting numbers online and it shows 1261438 is for turbocharged 1978. Would a 1978 engine be correct for a 1979 car? Sorry, I have never did a numbers matching car before. I usually throw originality out the window. The rarity of the car would be cooler if the engine is correct. And yes, I know 3.8s suck and my car is not valuable ;)

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Guys, I am trying to see if my 3.8 Buick turbo engine is correct for my 1979 Turbo Century. I looked up the casting numbers online and it shows 1261438 is for turbocharged 1978. Would a 1978 engine be correct for a 1979 car? Sorry, I have never did a numbers matching car before. I usually throw originality out the window. The rarity of the car would be cooler if the engine is correct. And yes, I know 3.8s suck and my car is not valuable ;)
When was your car built? Remember, 79s would have been built probably starting May, and certainly June of 1978. So, an early build I'd think it definitely would. Even into January or February they would he pulling engines randomly from the stock at the assembly plant. If you had a late 79, built mar/apr/may I'd be doubtful

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
When was your car built? Remember, 79s would have been built probably starting May, and certainly June of 1978. So, an early build I'd think it definitely would. Even into January or February they would he pulling engines randomly from the stock at the assembly plant. If you had a late 79, built mar/apr/may I'd be doubtful
How do I find out when it was built?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
How do I find out when it was built?
Easiest way is the gvwr/tire sticker in the drivers door. It has a month year date it 2/78 or 3/79, etc.

If that is missing or painted over then youre looking at eithet having the window sticker, getting a broadcast sheet under the seat, hood, etc (people find them different places.)

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
20180530_162808_resized.jpg

• Winner

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
All I know is you do not want 78 heads, and intake. They are different and will not match up to anything else they say.

• Informative

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
back then, an early build was usually sold as 1/2's, as in "78 1/2". the chevy citation was release as an "79 1/2". just like the mustang was a "64 1/2". now a days the rule has been relaxed and anything after january can be sold as the next MY. this usually happened for something monumental. like a new model, complete redesign or a sales war with the competition. this was not the case with the regal, century, or the turbo cars.
its not unusual for a manufacturer to use up previous MY stuff in the beginning of the next MY. with yours being a low production specialty eng, that is a possibility.

also, gm loved using julian dates instead of calendar dates.

• Agree

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
under the hood is there not a medal tag it should have the year on mine it is 80 for 1980 the letter of the alphabet is the month it was produced mine has an A so it was built January 1980 if it says 78 D then it was built 1979 in April the tag is on top of the firewall closer to the passenger near the leaf screen by the wipers I am not good with the computer or I would send pictures the you decode all of the paint and the factory it was made and so on mine is a black tag with 2 bolts holding it in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor