engine idle too high...

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I'm trying to set my idle to 550rpm in drive as per the veci label under the hood. I just put an edelbrock carburetor on and the lowest I can get it is 600rpm, and then the idle screw is no longer touching the throttle arm. Is there any adjustment I can make to get the idle down to 550?
Thanks

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
the air fuel adjustment screws on the base of the carb facing forward. screw them both in and count the turns. then turn them both out the same amount. start vehicle and set idle. my guess is that your carb is too lean and it is causing it to have a high idle. i hate eddy carbs. jmo.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
make sure your choke mechanism isn't binding somewhere....no matter what your fuel ratio is that has no effect on the idling speed that would interfere with your idle adjustment and if I remember correctly you have already adjusted your idle mixture. There is something mechanical binding to keep your revs up. On your electric choke you have a constant 12 volts?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
do the e-brocks have a fast idle cam?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'd check the adjustment of that to make sure it's not screwing things up. (in addition to /\)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
mega..I was including that in the choke mechanism but mentioning the high idle cam is a good idea since that's the usual cause thu getting stuck but this being a new carb it's most likely an adjustment...

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I haven't had a chance to look again, but the fast idle cam is defenitley disengaged and the choke is wide open. I can't see anything that is binding and i can't physically push the the throttle arm down any farther. I thought that maybe there was something I could adjust so that the throttle arm went lower. SHOULD the throttle arm go so low as to stall the engine out with the screw all the way out? Would it be that the edel carb is just built so the throttle arm only goes that low, and isn't made to idle any lower?

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
i would be inclined to start checking for possible vacuum leaks. im not sure about there being a stop on the primary throttle blades like a holley... but i know that the idle air mixture screws on the idle circuit can change your idle a little, so just step back from it and check over all the imformation people have givin you on the site. im not really much of a eddy fan, always run holleys, but i figure more opinions are better than none. you can pick and choose from what you hear, hope you get it figured out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When you have the car running put a rag over the carb to see is it stalls out. If it doesn't you have a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak will cause the idle to be high but your idle adjustment screw should still kill the engine if it's set too low. If you do have a vacuum leak get a can of carb cleaner and spray the carb and intake seams to find the leak....the revs will increase spraying carb cleaner into a vacuum leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor