Engine Mismanagement System working perfectly? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, what's Cali's deal with old cars that fail? Here in MD, if you fail the sniffer on an emissions required vehicle, You get a waiver after spending 'x' amount of money (or something like that). BUT, we also have Historic or Street Rod tags that exempt pre-'86 cars (law went into effect in 2016) from inspection. Your situation is definitely cartoonish, but doesn't seem insurmountable if you're willing to do the research and get it in factory spec. As much as I had to admit it, the eRod crate LS engines are about the only way to get some performance on the Cali streets while remaining CAFE compliant. Man, that made my butt hurt just typing it!

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
So, what's Cali's deal with old cars that fail? Here in MD, if you fail the sniffer on an emissions required vehicle, You get a waiver after spending 'x' amount of money (or something like that). BUT, we also have Historic or Street Rod tags that exempt pre-'86 cars (law went into effect in 2016) from inspection. Your situation is definitely cartoonish, but doesn't seem insurmountable if you're willing to do the research and get it in factory spec. As much as I had to admit it, the eRod crate LS engines are about the only way to get some performance on the Cali streets while remaining CAFE compliant. Man, that made my butt hurt just typing it!
Recommending LS stuff....Baby steps man, baby steps!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The law is you can only swap in same year or newer engines with the complete emissions gear. However, some of the newer emission systems are not designed for backwards compatibility. At the same time, the manufacturers discontinue replacement parts for older systems as well as emission legal performance parts for older engines.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
So, what's Cali's deal with old cars that fail? Here in MD, if you fail the sniffer on an emissions required vehicle, You get a waiver after spending 'x' amount of money (or something like that). BUT, we also have Historic or Street Rod tags that exempt pre-'86 cars (law went into effect in 2016) from inspection.

We have similar provisions here.

Right now I see no reason why it should fail the sniffer. To flunk it, the tech would have to notice that I swapped the solenoids and disabled the EFE, and this I rate as "moderately unlikely." But even then I could take it to a Referee, and because no new replacement part is available he should rubber stamp my hack, since the EGR works right and nothing can be done about the EFE.

Anyway that's my take on it right now.

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Your situation is definitely cartoonish, but doesn't seem insurmountable if you're willing to do the research and get it in factory spec.

I've been doing the research on this thing for more years than I care to discuss right now. Had I known to test these solenoids when I started, I could have saved myself a lot of trouble since. [1]

But the original goal was basically just to get it running right or know the reason why, and I *think* I'm arriving at that point now. The positive takeaway will always be what I've learned.

As Vonnegut once said, "Oh well. So it goes."

----------------------
[1] Not least because at that point, new (and hopefully correct) replacement parts were still available.

Last edited:

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
If I recall the California system or what you have the ECM receives a signal from the coolant temperature to operate the EGR solenoid and the exhaust pressure also operates the EGR at the same time. Its possible that the coolant temperature sensor is faulty.
EFE has a bi metal valve between the butterfly and EFE solenoid, is that what you had reversed thinking its a check valve? This all going by my memory, its been a long time and I do have a GM ccc tech book. I will dig it out its been 30 years I haven't touched it.
Can you take some pictures of your engine and the vacuum lines going to EFE.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Its possible that the coolant temperature sensor is faulty.

No it isn't. EGR is now working fine.

EFE has a bi metal valve between the butterfly and EFE solenoid, is that what you had reversed thinking its a check valve?

No it isn't. A "bi metal valve" aka TVS (Thermal Vacuum Switch) was used PRE-COMPUTER to operate the butterfly valve WITHOUT a solenoid, i.e., without ECM control. And continued to be used on some motors that didn't get a solenoid. It's not easy to mistake a TVS for a check valve, and I don't know how you'd "reverse" one.

The check valve wasn't reversed before. It is now reversed to disable EFE, because neither solenoid is N.C. (normally closed) as it must be to operate the butterfly valve correctly.

I'm not looking for advice on how to fix it. It's fixed as well as it can be without a new EGR/EFE solenoid pack (nowhere to be found). This thread is just a generalized rant (masquerading as discussion) about the situation, which is why it's in General Discussion instead of one of the tech areas.

Last edited:
  • Haha

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
No it isn't. A "bi metal valve" aka TVS (Thermal Vacuum Switch) was used PRE-COMPUTER to operate the butterfly valve WITHOUT a solenoid, i.e., without ECM control.
You just proved to me that you have no clue what the difference between Bi mental valve and a TVS are. two different parts.
A TVS uses wax to open ports and mounted to your intake, A BI metal valve uses thermal metal to open ports and mounted between to vacuum lines. I never mentioned TVS but good luck to you and the state you live in when it comes to emissions.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Maybe y'all oughta go dig up that book you haven't seen in 30 years.

I may have a copy of it right here in front of me: "1981 to 1985 Carbureted Drivability and Emissions Diagnostics," a GM Expertec book published in 1988. Could that be it? No "bi metal valve" was used in any of the EFE systems, that's why I put in in quotes. TVS was used in some without ECM control.

You may be confusing EFE with the ThermAC air cleaner. That used a bi-metal valve to operate a butterfly door in the air snorkel.

What catches my eye in that book is the zillion and a half different variations on several different themes they managed to spew forth in just a few short years for a system (CCC) that never should have been manufactured to begin with.

Not looking to get into any flame wars here. This thread is MY rant, not yours. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor