Engine Mismanagement System working perfectly? Check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
"Making a new car creates as much carbon pollution as driving it, so it's often better to keep your old banger on the road than to upgrade to a greener model."
Somehow, I don't think trying to explain the Pig to a Prius driver would go over very well, kinda fart-in-church-ish......

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Somehow, I don't think trying to explain the Pig to a Prius driver would go over very well, kinda fart-in-church-ish......

here in Ontario they have a green licence plate for certain cars they think as green. I called them and asked for a green license plate for my GP. She told me my car is not qualified to use a green plate to which I challenged I thought recycling was the thing to do. I have so many recycled parts on a car that should have been junked 3 times over by now. She said my car isn't on the list but the way I put it it should be. She then asked some details about the GP and said it must be fun to drive.

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What kind of exhaust check do they do? Does not having the devices in play affect the emissions? Is there a sniffer test? Because if all you need to pass in the visual inspection then by all means set it up to "look" correct. But then have it be functionally like you want it. I say that because the last time I needed to pass exhaust testing here in NY I made all kinds of illegal adjustment to clean up the emissions. But it "looked" correct.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I live in NY as well and I was happy when they got rid of the sniffer. Too bad it was after I parted with my Monte.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What kind of exhaust check do they do? Does not having the devices in play affect the emissions? Is there a sniffer test? Because if all you need to pass in the visual inspection then by all means set it up to "look" correct. But then have it be functionally like you want it. I say that because the last time I needed to pass exhaust testing here in NY I made all kinds of illegal adjustment to clean up the emissions. But it "looked" correct.

In Cali, it is everything, underhood inspection and sniffer. Then again, Northern states like NY dump tons of car eating road salt for half the year which is pretty nasty too. Last time I was in CA, even the beat up old work vans had clean rockers. Yesterday, here in NJ, saw someone's prized tricked out pickup that was only a few years old with near completely rotted out rockers.

As for emission parts, all the manufacturers are bad about discontinuing them. Found a deteriorated evap hose on my 08 CVPI, Ford of course discontinuted replacements, but I found a dealership online that had some NOS. Thankfully it seems to be an upgraded part made out of better materials. Best bet for the OP is to search junkyards and collect spare emission parts.

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
On my '84 Vin A, EFE is electric grid under the carb. The OEM EGR valve works on back pressure of the exhaust system and vacuum from the valve cover mounted solenoid pack (2 solenoids there, one provides some kind of N.O. vacuum vent function and the other appears to be a N.C. vacuum on/off valve). The EGR valve pintle was clogged with carbon thus always vented the vacuum, this took some time to get it cleared. The spare aftermarket EGR valve I have is strictly vacuum operated with an orifice washer to meter exhaust flow.

The air box snorkel has the traditional vacuum butterfly with thermal vacuum switch mounted in the air box and the vacuum supply comes from a vacuum Tee fitting off the carb rear.

The canister purge has no electric parts, it's controlled by a manifold thermal vacuum switch mounted in the intake manifold water passage just in front of the carburetor but offset slightly to the drivers side. The vacuum source comes from a nipple on the front of carb. There's a N.C. vacuum purge valve that's controlled by the manifold thermal vacuum switch which isolates the carb bowl vent from the canister while the vacuum switch is closed (cold motor) and a green N.C thermal disk puck about an inch from the bowl vent nipple (closed when ambient is cold).

So there are four tubes on the vacuum operated canister purge valve, the purge valve,
1) Bowl vent from the carb bowl puck valve
2) purge Tube to canister
3) Manifold Thermal Vacuum switch to canister purge valve diaphragm (vacuum opens pintle to canister purge tube).
4) vacuum purge line connected to carb vacuum port

Most vin A were California seems like and I would guess the remainder of vin A Federal version primarily wore Buick hubcaps?

Not sure what the manual trans Iraqui Taxi's had, they eventually went to Canada, right? Don't see many around, perhaps the 231?

FWIW, In case any of that helps.

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
So are you wanting to keep that engine or not?

I'm not married to it (although it often feels that way). But what with the rules here for such things, the choices for a swap don't exactly have you leaping to your feet for an impromptu break dance. I will admit, this is partly because I myself refuse to do anything that involves either drive-by-wire or a computer-controlled transmission.

Does your emissions thingy people care what is under the hood of a 36 year old car? It isn't exempt at this point?

Once upon a time it would have been, as of 2013. But in 2005 the Governator signed a repeal of that provision. Meanwhile even the Obama EPA washed their hands of it, but California clings to it tenaciously. Some other states do too, but they don't seem nearly so finicky about details.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I'm not married to it (although it often feels that way). But what with the rules here for such things, the choices for a swap don't exactly have you leaping to your feet for an impromptu break dance. I will admit, this is partly because I myself refuse to do anything that involves either drive-by-wire or a computer-controlled transmission.QUOTE]

Aside from cost, electronic transmissions are cake. Just plug it in

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I dunno, the 231 runs pretty good IMO. Mine has the 2.73 rear but anything higher would drive me nuts doing 70MPH

When running right, it is remarkable for what it is. Kind of like the talking dog joke, lol. But built like a tank.

My big b***h is the chronic fool's errand of getting and keeping it running right. As this thread does attest. And even when you haven't been thrown a special curveball like I was here, the sheer absurdity of the whole tangle of hoses and wires and gadgets just thrown together on top of each other without even a reasonable plan is just an insult to your intelligence, your time, your attention and your effort, IMHO.

And then you need a gadget you cannot find. But since it all feels like some kind of conspiracy, I don't want "Them" to win! :mrgreen:

Quite a cartoon to be in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor