engine over heating problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983regal4door

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2009
i have a stock 1973 350 with 1995 187 heads long tube headers serpentine belt setup high flow water pump a Lincoln mark 8 electric fan on high all the time no thermostat edelbrock 1407carb and intake v8 regal radiator and she still runs hot were it makes my fuel filter empy from evap i think anybody have any ideas no milk in oil either

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
so your getting vapor lock? are u running an electric fuel pump. if u run a dead head fuel system with an electric pump u will get some vapor lock when cruising. with no tstat and ur fans on high at all time u shouldnt have a prob with your cooling system overheating. unless u got a clogged up radiator. what temp is your engine getting to?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
actually your problem may be the lack of a t-stat. the system needs the restriction there. what happens is that you get too much flow, keeping the coolant from having time to absorb the heat from the engine and dissipate it through the radiator. also, you get more turbulence causing the same problems.
is there a reason you're running w/out a stat?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Are you sure you have the correct rotation on the water pump?

A lot of people don't think of this when they switch to a serpentine setup.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
good call on water pump, u might want to check to make sure u got the correct rotation pump. and yes not having a t stat can sometimes cause the temp to be too high. i have a mustang that i dont use a t stat in. and when cruising it would overheat with the mustang radiator and an electric fan due to the coolant being fed through the radiator too fast and not giving it time to cool. so i put a larger f250 radiator in it and since it is a bigger radiator the coolant has more space to cover in its flow path and will cool without a t stat. so if u still got a stock radiator it could be ur prob. on race only cars i have built we would use a restrictor in place of the t stat to give the coolant enough time to cool. so if your stuck on not using a t stat a resrictor would be the way to go or u will just have to get a huge radiator.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I agree with the thermostat restrictor plate idea. If you are not going to run a thermostat, you should atleast run one of these restrictor plates in its place. It restricts the flow of the coolant to a 3/8" hole which allows the radiator to cool the fluid down while it flows through it.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
better not let it run that hot for long, you'll be liable to blow a head gasket, not fun if you're far from home too. Maybe the coolant passages are clogged and getting no flow, maybe the rads clogged, and are you running 50/50? Possibility exists that you may need a bigger radiator also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor