Engine rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Someone rebuild a 350 tbi for me? I've got $650 + the 'master rebuild kit' on it thats the best I can do. 8)

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
That's what just the machine shop work is going to cost

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
sh*t $650 isnt going to touch the machine work. You're looking at $800+ for machine both block and heads. Then crank polishing(if it doesnt need cut) and rod hone. Then if you have the cam bearings installed at the shop thats usually a flat fee of around $30-40 at least around here.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
well I was just going to beat the sh*t out of this engine so we could cut a few corners though. If anyone has the right intake maybe a carb setup would make everything simpler?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Whats wrong with it right now? Why spend the money on the rebuild kit to cut corners and have to redo it?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Idk I have not really investigated what happened but it was definitely not good. I can get the car to run still but it sounds pretty bad. I just took the battery out a couple days ago and haven't ran it again since.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
That's true 83montess. I forgot about the heads. Just to get your block ready for a rebuilt is going to cost close to the $650. I agree with pontiacgp, I would start cruising craigslist for a good used one.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I guess everyone is kind of confirming my suspicions that it would cost less to just get a 'new' [to me] engine. This is for my other car with a 4L60E in it. When I drop the engine back in I'd like to be able to just fire the car back up and get it out of there instead of having to wait for a chip burner to write me a program with it. If I use an engine with a carb on it getting everything to work might be confusing and take me days... If I use a newer LS getting the computer to work might be a real headache without switching to a different trans, and I really don't have money to replace the trans too.. That just leaves the LT1 at a cost of about $750 - $800 but I was trying to avoid that engine so I didn't have to redo all the computer and wiring... hence the 'rebuild this engine' w/ the crappy offer

Also, I suspected that putting the LT1 behind a high mileage trans might cause it to fail with the sudden introduction of 100 more hp behind it?

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
93122251990314-480.jpg

we're talking about this car. I have one of the first 93's after they switched to rwd. The exterior is not in fantastic shape. The interior is fantastic. It was a daily driver and far from a show car. Everything is 85% VGC except the engine which is trash. It would be a shame if I have to just give up on this car entirely in a minute. There is still a vague scent of fresh leather when you get in the car... There are a few small dents and dings but not a single panel of the body is bent except the front bumper in 1 spot... The front bumper alone would be worth a few hundred but bent it is worth nothing. Same thing with the chrome trim pieces. only 3 of them are sale-able. I am not going to spend hundreds accumulating all the dented ones over again buy the exterior moulding clips and repaint the whole car or then I can't do anything w/ the cutlass. I can only afford to build 1 but not the other. I would like it to run again so I can sell it or use it as my winter beater again. I'm not going to spend thousands getting it running though... If I don't figure something out in the next few weeks I might just end up scrapping it. Not out of desperation, but b/c I left it at someone's house and it's a huge car so it definitely can't be there for this whole winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor