Engine run-on with sniper efi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
I feel your pain. Fire up tomorrow...
I had I running two days ago for the 1st time and it was really nice and drove great. Even today started up on the 1st crank like a champ. It ran so good it didn't want to shut off lol. I know why it stayed running I'm just having a hard time finding a straight answer on how to fix it . Some say add a diode to the wire going to the voltage regulator but everything says ( External voltage regulator) gbody oem alternators have them internal so I'm not sure if it would be the same issue and if I switch it over and add a second relay and use the same switched 12v for both relays will it back feed through the switch 12v and not allow it to shut off the snioeror would separate relays stop that. So many damn questions lol

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Do some basic testing. The coil is getting power when it shouldn’t be.

And I’d add a temporary ground for the block to the battery.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I don't know if this helps but I had run on with an msd years ago,I had to shut it off by holding the line lock or flipping the reverse lights on.a diode in the alt wire fixed it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
I don't know if this helps but I had run on with an msd years ago,I had to shut it off by holding the line lock or flipping the reverse lights on.a diode in the alt wire fixed it.
That wire your talking about is it the brown wire from the alternator that you put the diode in ?

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I know power wise it will work because I have them all to one relay now and it all runs fine but the sniper trigger needs to be put to its own power. If I put them on separate relays could the one 12v switch be used for both relays.
Electrically speaking, I can't see why not. After all, both are controlled by the same (ignition) switch now. Right?

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
Electrically speaking, I can't see why not. After all, both are controlled by the same (ignition) switch

Electrically speaking, I can't see why not. After all, both are controlled by the same (ignition) switch now.
But would sharing it on 2 relays give me the same issue ? The problem is the ignition and distributor trigger wires are keeping the sniper trigger powered even after the key is off so sniper does not shut off. Would the sniper trigger being secluded on its own relay but sharing the 12v switch still be clean with no interference.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Slowpoke86 I saw your thread on the Holley forum. Did you find a solution to your "run on" problem? If so, what was the ultimate fix? Did you install the diode on your internally regulated alternator?

Reactions: 1 user

Slowpoke86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2019
South Florida
Slowpoke86 I saw your thread on the Holley forum. Did you find a solution to your "run on" problem? If so, what was the ultimate fix? Did you install the diode on your internally regulated alternator?
Funny you came on here today and said this. I was getting ready to come post because I hate reading unfinished thread that leave you hanging lol.
Yes I added the diode to the alternator wire and it fixed the run-on issue. I used the 1amp 100 volt diode and aimed the silver line on it towards the alternator.

Attachments

• 20210513_133052.jpg
    20210513_133052.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor