engine running hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
thanks guys! another problem im having is my engine is running hot, i dont know if its the mini blower doing it? ive tried changing the coolant using water wetter and distilled water, new water pump, better fan, 3 core rad, but it still runs hot. My rearend is very hard to turn, could that be a problem of causing the engine to run hot? my engine is a 350 60 over dart pro 1 heads b&m 162 mini blower 750 demon, mechanical fan, 9-1 comp and a 510-533 lift and 244-254 duration.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
what is your fan shroud like? i have seen set ups like yours with the nice aluminum radiators and water wetter not cool worth a darn because the fan shroud was cobbled in there, or not doing its purpose. thats all i can think of. as far as the rear end goes, i really would not have an answer for that one. hope you can fix this problem, sounds like you have a nice stout small block there!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What do you mean by the rear end is hard to turn? Also, what part of the country do you live in and what is the average outside temperature when it runs hot? What temperature is the engine running at? Anything below 200-210 in traffic is fine, and is actually normal in most cars.

85montess

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2007
CT
what about running around 220 once i get going. my engine setup is in my sig. i also have a brand new radiator. any ideas?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what thermostat?
what shroud?
are you 100% positive there are no air bubbles left?
does it hit 220 sitting still and drop once you start moving, or it hits 220 and stays there?
how long does it take to get there? and with what kind of driving?
are you sure the engine isn't running lean? (common with forced induction)

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
my fan shroud is the factory one, i live in canada, so its muggy in the summer im running a 160 stat, im 90 % sure the bubbles are out, it takes a little while to get to 220, it wants to keep climbing sitting at stop lights but when you get going it drops a bit. thats just with regular driving with a bit of full throttle. ive increased the jet sizes both primary and secondary, it burns the eyes a bit at idle. i just drained all the coolant and put 50% coolant back in with a bottle of watter wetter and distilled water. been told that helps.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
sounds like an airflow problem. what kind of fan is in it? is it the same diameter as the stock fan? is the clutch old?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
running hot

a thermosat works by opening up when the temp hits what ever degree thermostat is in the motor.once it opens the cool water from the radiator moves to the engine. the thermostat closes this gives your cooling system time to cool down your coolant so when the thermostat opens again you should have coolant colder than whats coming out of the engine if not then you're going to over heat! if you have to use a 160 thermostat you need to up grade your cooling system(bigger rad, electric fans 180 thermostat)thats what i did to mine. now fan clutches don't work until they see heat before they lock-up, any fan clutch made after 1979 won't hook-up until it see's heat some where around 190 so if you have a late model fan clutch your not getting any help cooling your rad until after your thermostat is staying open (read overheating) i hope this helps you

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
running hot

if i was you i would try a 180 i'am not a big fan of flex fans but they do work :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor