engine running hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
runing hot

if you're running a blower you need to know that heat is a power killer the cooler you can run the better! beware of detenation be careful of how much timing you use :D

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
220 is not the end of the world, but it is on the edge of bad. My car can see 200 in heavy traffic with an ambient temp of 95 degrees Fahrenheit, with no A/C on if it sits for at least 5-10 minutes in drive.. It is a mild 355 with around 350hp, and uses a Modine 3 core radiator for now, with an aluminum/plastic 1 core from an IROC Z replacing it soon (weight savings). Most of the time, it does not exceed 180 in normal driving. I use plain old water and green anti-freeze with a 160 T stat, stock clutch fan, and a stock $15 Iron water pump.

Also, I just noticed that your block is .060 over. Sometimes, when you are at the edge of acceptable overbore, the engine will run warm due to the loss of wall thickness.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
im not running a/c and before i put the blower on it would run at 190, i know using blowers creates heat, but i didnt think it would create this much.
My total timing is at 32 all in by 2500

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Like someone said, the thermostat will open when the engine coolant warms to the thermo number you bought. Now you have complete coolant circulation between the engine and the radiator. The engine will warm up to wherever it wants to, irrespective of the thermo. You could even pull the thermo out at that point. There's some reason your engine wants to warm up to a high level. Could be timing, could be these mods you've made. Could be clogged radiator. Could be high idle.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Is it in neutral or drive? I test my cooling system with the parking brake set and wheels chocked, then put it in drive and shut the hood. if possible, park it a foot from a wall or another car while doing this. This is the best simulation of sitting in traffic. I also have a mechanical gauge that is screwed into my thermostat housing which I use to get an accurate reading of where the temperature is. This way, I can calibrate in my mind what I am seeing on the factory gauge with something more direct.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
running hot

if you don't know how something works you don't stand a chance of fixing it cheaply!!the only reason a thermostat is in the motor is to let the coolant in the radiator cool down to KEEP THE ENGINE FROM OVER HEATING!!!!!! if your cooling system is not able to cool the coolant while its in the rad it's going to run hot!!!! now the problem is most likely the flex fan is not close enouge to the fan shroud to pull enough air across the rad!! maybe you should put a electric fan in front of the rad.thats what i did....this is cooling system 101 if you don't have a thermostat in your motor to slow down the coolant to give you rad time to cool down your going to run hot!!!! :D at idle there is no load on the engine so it won't run hot if everything is working right now if you do a lot of stop and go the temp is going to rise if your system is not working right it will rise a blown head gasket will over heat you but i will over heat at any speed or idle .your timing will do the same thing. you can take this info or not i don't care :wink: my cars not running hot :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor