engine running hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
it works alot better now since i moved the heat gauge probe from the head to the intake. it stays around 180 now and i also changed to an electric fan

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
hot

glad to hear that you got the overheating problem sorted out,when are you going to post some pic's jesse

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
If you have a 160 degree thermo you should be running an electric fan with it. Did you get a high volume fuel pump (and new water pump) also? Didn't catch what type of engine?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Lol, ok I read the first posts. If you haven't yet, buy a fuel pump, edelbrock has some good ones that will cool it off a bit. Give them a call so they can match one to your application, that's the best way to go (don't get an electric one).

Edit: What kind of ignition system do you have?

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
i have all msd ignition. wires, box, coil and distributor. i have a high volume mechanical carter fuel pump. i just put a 2500 cfm electric fan on. it's all feeding a 350 60 over with dart pro 1 200 heads with a 162 b&m blower on top, 12 bolt rear with 456 gears and a 3500 stall.
i'll post some pics very soon.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Omg, you should've made a rocketship instead :) That thing must be scary from 0-60.

Did you also get a high volume water pump? That's all I can think of to cool it off besides buying a better fan shroud to cover the fan if it isn't.

Edit: You might also look into a higher power alternator, dunno what kind you have but that's a bigger load on your electrical system, especially at idle.

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
yeah the car is insane, you can be going 30mph nail it and the tires still go up in smoke. and it doesnt stop pulling. i did put a better water pump on. i plan to drop down to a 410 gear so i can take it down the track without over reving the blower.

pennsburg mike

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2008
I think you should send me your blower and I'll let you know if it run hot on my car! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
hot

if you don't have a rev limiter :shock: you might want to put one on your wish list!! were are those pics????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor