Equipping a G-Body with a manual trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Cool :)

I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about Bonne, but some cars actually had a 'backdrive' rod. It connected to what looked like linkage for an automatic transmission, and it actually connected to the column like an automatic trans shift rod. It would move the column collar to reverse, and I'm not positive but it may have also required you to put it in neutral to lock the column & take the key out.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
just curious...is there a thread like this refering to a sbo manual swap in a G? I searched...didnt see anything about SBO's...maybe I missed it. Just wondering whats the difference/similarities are comparing chevy vs SBO...

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
It's the same setup. You just need the even more rare dual bolt pattern bellhousing

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
Doober said:
I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about Bonne, but some cars actually had a 'backdrive' rod. It connected to what looked like linkage for an automatic transmission, and it actually connected to the column like an automatic trans shift rod. It would move the column collar to reverse, and I'm not positive but it may have also required you to put it in neutral to lock the column & take the key out.

My '77 Nova (X-body) was equipped with a 'backdrive' rod that would rotate the steering column collar into reverse position to activate the backup lights and release the key from the ignition switch.
However, my '79 Cutlass (A/G body) had a key release lever on the column instead. I don't recall where the backup light switch was or how it was activated. It probably wasn't on the transmission because I was breaking Saginaws left and right and don't recall any wiring during frequent replacement.
The BW/Tremec T-56 has a built-in switch. And twin overdrives. 8)

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
mebe007 said:
It's the same setup. You just need the even more rare dual bolt pattern bellhousing
But what about the pilot bearing issue with a non manual trans sbo crank? I was under the assumption that the crank has to be swapped or drilled out for the bearing...correct?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
bill said:
mebe007 said:
But what about the pilot bearing issue with a non manual trans sbo crank? I was under the assumption that the crank has to be swapped or drilled out for the bearing...correct?

I didn't even think about the crank

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Doober I was talking about this abortion. First pic is the mount/linkage, second is the switch itself. Third pic is the Hurst switch. I believe the backdrive linkage showed up around the same time the screw-in switch did.
621019.jpg
a5a51277dabdce4471619ab9d4cd9fc1_3.jpg
backup.JPG

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
FWIW I have never seen a Pontiac crank that had not been drilled for a pilot bearing. Even on years that no manual trans was offered at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor