Equipping a G-Body with a manual trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Thank you. I actually found out they make counter-weight balance plates for 383 strokers etc so you can use an internally balanced flywheel on an externally balanced motor. So as long as the transmission bolts up normal and the balance plate doesnt push my flywheel too far out, I think this will work.

I am still interested in a hydraulic throwout bearing set up though. I just hear so many bad things

hotwheelsboy28

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2011
Jasper, Tennessee
well my setup is all out of a 90 rs camaro i modified the petals for g body bolt pattern for the brake booster used headman headers that were modified on drivers side (but made for factory manual linkage), made my old crossmember a double hump it orig. had a 350 turbo ,just slotted the trans mount hole. its a rebuilt world class t-5 with whinny gears, 5th went out this past summer, i was'nt even gettin on it at all ,i have put close to $500.00 in it and not very happy with it although its been a blast to drive. think im gonna save and move on to a tko 600, blow proof bellhousing and swap the slave cyl for the other one keeping it hydralic. its hard saving when u have 4 yes, 4 prodjects all going at once lol!

adam6640

Greasemonkey
Apr 30, 2008
Hugo Ok
I have a 400 SBC in my 81 Lemans, does anyone make a manual 153 tooth flywheel for a 400 SBC ?
I am planning on going manual
Thanks Mike

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
A good machine shop with a balancer can make the 153 tooth flywheel work, or if you are planning on rebuilding the engine also - scat makes an interally balanced crank for 400s/383s.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Chillin014 said:
Thank you. I actually found out they make counter-weight balance plates for 383 strokers etc so you can use an internally balanced flywheel on an externally balanced motor. So as long as the transmission bolts up normal and the balance plate doesnt push my flywheel too far out, I think this will work.

I am still interested in a hydraulic throwout bearing set up though. I just hear so many bad things

if you hear bad things I doubt it was set up properly...all the race cars at the track uses them and I have one in my street car..I didn't like how close the slave was sitting to the header

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
im going to bring this back from the dead. does anyone have photos of where the frame bracket mounts for the manual clutch linkage, how the pedal mounts, where the rod goes through the firewall etc? sorry to ask so much i just want to be straight when i tear into mine for the install in the coming weeks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Talk to bonnewagon on this..he's got that set up in his wagon and he can fill you in on the details

LIVE4RDO

Apprentice
Jul 14, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Great write up

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
mebe007 said:
im going to bring this back from the dead. does anyone have photos of where the frame bracket mounts for the manual clutch linkage, how the pedal mounts, where the rod goes through the firewall etc? sorry to ask so much i just want to be straight when i tear into mine for the install in the coming weeks.
The clutch pedal mounts to the same pivot point as the brake pedal, I believe the bolt is different, can't remember for sure. The clutch rod goes through the hole the cruise control wire/vacuum line goes through (you'll need to remove or relocate it), it's about 2" in diameter. If you look at the frame about even with the edge of the tire you'll see 3 pre-drilled holes for the bracket, they're sheetmetal screws, I believe 8mm diameter. Basically everything is there ready for a bolt-in install (besides the clutch pedal pivot, may want to double check if you don't want to tear it apart first), it's pretty straightforward.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
How do I go about hooking up the reverse lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor