Escape From the Prison Planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This is a '98 with 218k miles and it shows all of it's experience. The transmission won't shift past 2nd gear but I drove it home for $650. Interior isn't bad, glass is good, rust is minimal. Steers, stops and handles fine. Lots of little projects to address if we get bored next winter. Plan is to get it reliable and keep it around so that my dad and I have a beater hauler.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
You stole it for $650. Pretty nice looking truck too. 5.7L I assume?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Yeah, 5.7, 4L60e, and whatever makes a Z71 special. It was nice when it was new but honestly pretty rough now. All the power options and the AC work. 4wd seems to work too. It looks better in the pics than it really is. Still, seemed okay for the money.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012

Automatically worth every cent. Even with the transmission problems that's probably a $2000 truck here.

You already know this, but the 4L60E is the weakest point in that whole driveline. Easily and inexpensively fixed. I had to replace the one in my 96 K1500 and I had to rebuild the valve body on the one in my 1999 Suburban. You've got the best set of heads GM ever put on a SBC and while I'm really not a fan of the spider injectors, those trucks are pretty reliable. My biggest problem with the whole GMT400 platform is that the '96 I had fought me tooth and nail.

Is the 4x4 lever or push button? Being a '98 you should have a passenger side airbag. I always liked the look of that dash more than the non-airbag dash.

Nice grab.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Floor shift transfer case but the indicator lights don't work. Didn't pay any attention to the airbag. It has potential but it won't get restored by me. You know, just a cruiser.
My experience with these has been mostly positive. Some spider replacements, lots of fuel pumps, a few transmissions. The rest was just maintenance. I was actually surprised at just how well it ran considering the guy hasn't really run it since January of last year. It's gonna sit for another couple weeks before I start in on transmission stuff. I need to drop the pan and decided whether I want to fix it or just replace it.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
nice score. even with the miles and trans issues, with minor rust, that's about a $2500-3000 truck here on the right coast.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My guess is 3-4 clutch pack went bye bye, but I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I haven't researched all that deep yet. If it hit 3rd and slipped, I'd agree. But it just doesn't shift out of 2nd. First order of business will be to drop the pan and see just how much junk is laying in the bottom. Go from there.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I chased an oil leak on my white bike for the last couple days. My main shaft seal was oozing and I lazily assumed it was the main source of the oil that was collecting in the skidplate after each ride. So I ordered that seal, the shift shaft seal, and the side cover gasket and figured if I replaced everything on that side at once, all would be good. Wrong! Well, then it must be the kickstarter seal. Wrong! So I scrambled and sourced the RS cover gasket. It was leaking right next to the kickstarter shaft. All better now.
20200707_154955.jpg
20200707_182420.jpg

In 2 days both bikes will be on the trail for a week. What was originally going to be a 700 mile trip is looking more like 1200 now. I'm already sore.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
Floor shift transfer case but the indicator lights don't work. Didn't pay any attention to the airbag. It has potential but it won't get restored by me. You know, just a cruiser.
My experience with these has been mostly positive. Some spider replacements, lots of fuel pumps, a few transmissions. The rest was just maintenance. I was actually surprised at just how well it ran considering the guy hasn't really run it since January of last year. It's gonna sit for another couple weeks before I start in on transmission stuff. I need to drop the pan and decided whether I want to fix it or just replace it.

Again I feel like I'm preaching to the choir, but the floorshift is the one you want. The NP241 is a pretty solid transfer case but I have heard of the chains wearing out and dragging on the inside of the case and wearing through it. Never seen it, but I've heard it. I don't think that airbag would really save anyone but I think the airbag dash is more aesthetically pleasing than the non-airbag dash. More symmetrical.

Looking forward to seeing more of it. Redeem the GMT400 for me. Found a picture of the old heap I had-
IMG_1468_1486470372183.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor