exhaust question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
Hello everyone, so my son says to me the other day, hey dad i thought muscle cars were supposed to be loud.. so he wants a little noise from his exhaust.. i have been looking around at some mufflers because the rest of the exhaust is in mint condition. i do not want to spend a ton of money on a muffler just to give him a little noise. so i have been looking around and i have found the following and would like your opinions on them and if anyone has used them how do they sound.. im looking for a nice rumble when you get on it but not to loud that i get pulled over everyday while cruising either..

Jegs welded deep tone muffler 30$

Summit street/strip or fully welded 35$

Thrush welded muffler 30$

please if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.. and yes i know flowmaster is the greatest but also to overpriced for a 16yr old on a budget.

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Does the car still have the factory exhaust on it now or was it replaced with something along the way? Is it duals? Factory y-pipe? Give us some more info :wink:

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
If you wanna a nice sound without a lot of work, go with a glass pack....and the longer it is, the quieter it is... .02

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
mysons80elcamino said:
also i have to deal with the emissions police around here so would the glasspack pass emissions?
Mufflers only serve to quite the exhaust noise. Emissions are just a measure of the carbon output of those gasses. Technically, you dont have to run exhaust, but then you might get a ticket for having a louder than legal exhaust. Cat converters are designed to lower emissions, and they reduce noise in the process, so as long as you still have one, you should be fine.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
A Flowmaster would be my first choice but you could go with a turbo style muffler(Dynomax,Cherry Bomb,Thrush etc.) they are inexspensive and you can probably pick one up at your local autoparts store it will be a little louder at idle but more noticeable at full throttle plus there are sizes the fit in place of a stock muffler.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
mysons80elcamino said:
also i have to deal with the emissions police around here so would the glasspack pass emissions?

glasspacks just get louder by the day. Get one packed with stainless steel wool like a chambered magnaflow. It will give you a nice sound that won't piss off the neighbours

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
yeah....they get louder, and more irritating over time, sorta like people who constantly drink too much......

Pbngem

Greasemonkey
Oct 17, 2010
If you are looking for a direct fit bolt-on muffler, Look here: http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/Ex ... Screen.asp Check out the muffler options for the performance mufflers in the fitment notes. The individual parts can be purchased thru amazon.
mysons80elcamino said:
Hello everyone, so my son says to me the other day, hey dad i thought muscle cars were supposed to be loud.. so he wants a little noise from his exhaust.. i have been looking around at some mufflers because the rest of the exhaust is in mint condition. i do not want to spend a ton of money on a muffler just to give him a little noise. so i have been looking around and i have found the following and would like your opinions on them and if anyone has used them how do they sound.. im looking for a nice rumble when you get on it but not to loud that i get pulled over everyday while cruising either..

Jegs welded deep tone muffler 30$

Summit street/strip or fully welded 35$

Thrush welded muffler 30$

please if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.. and yes i know flowmaster is the greatest but also to overpriced for a 16yr old on a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor