Exhaust System for Olds 307 Vin 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
88hurstolds said:
That is the AIR pipe to inject air into the cat during startup to keep emissions down.
There are also AIR tubes that connect to the heads that are used to inject air into the exhaust during startup during rich conditions.
When performing emissions make sure your car has been on for an hour and is nice and warmed up.
It also doesn't hurt to get on it a few times to get things flowing and help burn up deposits...

Take a few photos, I can tell you what you are missing.

Ok, thanks. I will post some when I get home later on tonight. Like I said, it seems the person who did the exhaust last time worked hard to keep all the original equipment intact! I appreciate all the help everybody 🙂

T.Wagner said:
For example, welded to my exhaust where my cat should be is a tube that goes up to the left hand side of the engine compartment. Is this an AIR tube?

If it is, that's really going the extra mile. :mrgreen:

I'm waiting eagerly for your pics now.

Maybe he thought that pumping air into the raw exhaust would dilute it enough to get past the tailpipe sniffer. Assuming the tech wouldn't notice the missing cat first.

Here are all my photos. It certainly looks like I have all the emissions equipment still intact. Pardon the dirty motor... I'm working on getting it all cleaned up! I think you can click on the pictures to get a zoomed view!

Here you can see all the vacuum lines and AIR tubes as well as the air pump I believe

Here is an up close of the AIR pump

Here's the right side where you can see the AIR tubes going into the heads and the EGR up top

Here's an up close of the EGR and AIR tubes going into the head

So in the end it looks to me like I have everything that I need! What do you guys think? 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG
    645.6 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    616.6 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    545.8 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_3303.JPG
    IMG_3303.JPG
    598.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    478.9 KB · Views: 392
Not shown is the air cleaner.

That crankcase breather stuck in the driver's side valve cover should not pass. There's supposed to be a hose installed there that runs to the air cleaner.

The stock air cleaner has a large closed housing, with a thermostat-operated door in a long projecting snout. One of the stock exhaust manifolds has a stamped metal shroud on it, with a flimsy flexible aluminum tube running up to the snout under the thermostat-operated door. You're supposed to have all of that.

The smog pump is definitely there, however, in all its elaborately valved and tubed glory! I can see the hose clamped onto the tube that goes down to the cat area. I'd love to see the deal you described there, just because I never have. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, that's actually the RIGHT side of the motor. GM designated things looking forward from behind the steering wheel.

Everything else appears to be present and hooked up, btw (feedback QJet, EGR ... ). Which of course is not to say that any of it is working right .... :mrgreen:

Can't tell from the pictures, but is there an oxygen sensor going into the RH/passenger side header somewhere? I don't think it would run too good (or at all) without one if everything else is still there and functioning. Interested in seeing where exactly it was put, as the #8 cylinder header primary tube is where the down pipe of the exhaust manifold is (where the oxygen sensor would have been originally). Always wondered if reading just the one cylinder would skew the results as opposed to the combined gasses. Not sure if the wire is long enough to put it further down, though I am assuming it could have possibly been spliced to reach the collector somehow.

Also, it's good to know that the AIR tubes still work with headers. It's probably since it is an Olds engine, as the design is a bit different from a Chevy where the tubes are basically bent around the exhaust manifold.

Once/if you go back to OE style exhaust, you will be able to use taller oil filters. Or at least you aren't supposed to be able to use taller ones with headers due to clearance.

jiho said:
Not shown is the air cleaner.

That crankcase breather stuck in the driver's side valve cover should not pass. There's supposed to be a hose installed there that runs to the air cleaner.

The stock air cleaner has a large closed housing, with a thermostat-operated door in a long projecting snout. One of the stock exhaust manifolds has a stamped metal shroud on it, with a flimsy flexible aluminum tube running up to the snout under the thermostat-operated door. You're supposed to have all of that.

The smog pump is definitely there, however, in all its elaborately valved and tubed glory! I can see the hose clamped onto the tube that goes down to the cat area. I'd love to see the deal you described there, just because I never have. :mrgreen:

Incidentally, that's actually the RIGHT side of the motor. GM designated things looking forward from behind the steering wheel.

Everything else appears to be present and hooked up, btw (feedback QJet, EGR ... ). Which of course is not to say that any of it is working right .... :mrgreen:

Unfortunately my car didn't come with one when I bought it. How exactly does it hook up though? I bought these manifolds

and I do not see the piece that you were taking about on it. It plugs into the crankcase breather and the manifolds?

I'll get you a picture eventually. My garage door is broken and it's very difficult to get the car in and out of the garage right now.

kustomkyle said:
Can't tell from the pictures, but is there an <span class="skimwords-potential">oxygen sensor</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> going into the RH/passenger side header somewhere? I don't think it would run too good (or at all) without one if everything else is still there and functioning. Interested in seeing where exactly it was put, as the #8 cylinder header primary tube is where the down pipe of the <span class="skimwords-potential">exhaust manifold</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> is (where the <span class="skimwords-potential">oxygen sensor</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> would have been originally). Always wondered if reading just the one cylinder would skew the results as opposed to the combined gasses. Not sure if the wire is long enough to put it further down, though I am assuming it could have possibly been spliced to reach the collector somehow.

Also, it's good to know that the AIR tubes still work with headers. It's probably since it is an Olds engine, as the design is a bit different from a Chevy where the tubes are basically bent around the <span class="skimwords-potential">exhaust manifold</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span>.

Once/if you go back to OE style exhaust, you will be able to use taller <span class="skimwords-potential">oil filters</span><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span>. Or at least you aren't supposed to be able to use taller ones with headers due to clearance.

I still have the oxygen sensor, it is down by the oil filter now. Somehow they extended it to reach all the way down there! Are there any other oxygen sensors in the motor that I should know of? I don't think I have seen any others.

I just purchased some stock manifolds, crossover, and downpipe! Working on getting her back to stock now

Attachments

• Manifolds.jpg
    Manifolds.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 281
The crankcase breather is just an encased filter instead of the open element one you have. It then has a metal tube that comes out of it that fits into an elbow grommet on the LH (driver's side) of the air cleaner. This is the same for either version of the 307. Doesn't have anything to do with the exhaust, just emissions. One of the convoluted things that you would think would make things worse, but I guess the logic was that crankcase fumes are better for the environment when they are refed through the carburetor (to gum up your carburetor and make the car run poorly and put out more emissions). Everything except the metal tube is available for replacement at auto parts stores from what I have seen. Here is the breather, should be the same for all Olds V8's. Chevy put the filter inside the air cleaners usually.

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop ... e+breather

The only thing connecting the air cleaner to the LH exhaust manifold is a thin metal flex tube to help get warm air off the manifold to the engine when it's cold out. It just slides over the provisions for either end. Don't think you'll really need it in California nor does it really have anything to do with emissions. A used heat riser might be worthless, though again, being California, they might not freeze up over time like everywhere else. More of a cosmetic piece to complete the package. Unless it's a federal offense to not have it for some reason.

I just wonder if there was ever a version of the 307 made for the Middle East that didn't have any of this stuff.

kustomkyle said:
The crankcase breather is just an encased filter instead of the open element one you have. It then has a metal tube that comes out of it that fits into an elbow grommet on the LH (driver's side) of the air cleaner. This is the same for either version of the 307. Doesn't have anything to do with the exhaust, just emissions. One of the convoluted things that you would think would make things worse, but I guess the logic was that crankcase fumes are better for the environment when they are refed through the carburetor (to gum up your carburetor and make the car run poorly and put out more emissions). Everything except the metal tube is available for replacement at auto parts stores from what I have seen. Here is the breather, should be the same for all Olds V8's. Chevy put the filter inside the air cleaners usually.

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop ... e+breather

The only thing connecting the air cleaner to the LH exhaust manifold is a thin metal flex tube to help get warm air off the manifold to the engine when it's cold out. It just slides over the provisions for either end. Don't think you'll really need it in California nor does it really have anything to do with emissions. A used heat riser might be worthless, though again, being California, they might not freeze up over time like everywhere else. More of a cosmetic piece to complete the package. Unless it's a federal offense to not have it for some reason.

I just wonder if there was ever a version of the 307 made for the Middle East that didn't have any of this stuff.

Hi Kyle,

Your link didn't work but I searched online and found what you are talking about. I am currently looking at this air cleaner... Does this have everything that I would need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-83-84-85-8 ... e8&vxp=mtr

Can I get the flex tube easy enough from an auto parts store? Or is this a difficult thing to find? If I am understanding it correctly the only thing I really need from that air cleaner is the tube that goes to the crankcase breather. It doesn't get that cold here in Southern California, so I am suspecting that I don't need the flex tube for the passenger side shroud. That's mainly for colder climates/if I want the car to look totally original?

You need ALL of the original crap under the hood to be legal. ALL of it, so yeah you need the shiney flexible heat tube. You can get them at auto part stores.

Normally that air cleaner you showed above would be OK but not for you! You need an 83 air cleaner that has the extra hole in it for that blue colored TVS. You could cut your own hole in that one if you couldn't find an 83 one though.

CA emmisson laws are a fricken joke!!!!

DoubleV said:
You need ALL of the original crap under the hood to be legal. ALL of it, so yeah you need the shiney flexible heat tube. You can get them at auto part stores.

Normally that air cleaner you showed above would be OK but not for you! You need an 83 air cleaner that has the extra hole in it for that blue colored TVS. You could cut your own hole in that one if you couldn't find an 83 one though.

CA emmisson laws are a fricken joke!!!!

Geez, you're tellin' me! Can you give me a link to what the TVS looks like or a link to it on an auto parts website? Also, do you have a link for the heat tube? I am trying to find it but I am not entirely sure what I am looking for as I have never seen it before...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor