Exhaust System for Olds 307 Vin 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the dual snorkel air cleaner is exactly the same as a regular 307 air cleaner besides the passenger side smaller inlet that's tacked on. The VIN 9 had a richer mixture carburetor, so that was part of the solution. I don't think it's too much of an improvement, but better than nothing I guess. That and the chrome lid, which was worth a few horsepower in itself. They probably would have made the passenger side inlet the same as the driver's side had there been room under the hood on these cars.

Almost forgot about the pre-filter thingy the VIN 9 air cleaner had too. Not sure why it served any purpose. When I first got one of these air cleaners, I thought someone glued a small air filter in and I tried to pry it out. Whatever glue/epoxy they used it must be some good stuff, as I couldn't budge it (luckily).

kustomkyle said:
Actually the dual snorkel air cleaner is exactly the same as a regular 307 air cleaner besides the passenger side smaller inlet that's tacked on. The VIN 9 had a richer mixture carburetor, so that was part of the solution. I don't think it's too much of an improvement, but better than nothing I guess. That and the chrome lid, which was worth a few horsepower in itself. They probably would have made the passenger side inlet the same as the driver's side had there been room under the hood on these cars.

Almost forgot about the pre-filter thingy the VIN 9 air cleaner had too. Not sure why it served any purpose. When I first got one of these air cleaners, I thought someone glued a small air filter in and I tried to pry it out. Whatever glue/epoxy they used it must be some good stuff, as I couldn't budge it (luckily).

What's this pre-filter thingy you speak of? Is it inside the air cleaner snout?

Going back to the heat tube, that should be the same/similar to many GM (and probably non-GM) cars of the era, not just the 307 Olds. The one on my 1993 Cadillac with a 350 Chevy looks to be the same size. The new Dorman one was listed for '78-'95 GM and AMC (!), but I do believe Ford had a specific part# to itself and they are larger in diameter.

T.Wagner said:
kustomkyle said:

No, it's inside the body around the first hump that surrounds the carburetor opening.

Extra snorkel means more air in. How much, I'm going to say not much..... They probably didn't mount it facing the front due to clearance issues.

The prefilter thing you guys are talking about is there to absorb gas fumes when sitting. It's filled with charcoal. It can be removed by prying it off. It's one of the stupidest things ever.

Cool, thanks guys!

This picture is for Jiho! Here you can see the modified oxygen sensor location and AIR tube location where the cat should be! They really worked hard to keep all the original equipment!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    808 KB · Views: 364
Pretty remarkable!

As stupid as somethings seem at first glance... Its actually not stupid... Its called a flame retarding ring.. its purpose is to absorb gasoline fumes and prevent a backfire through the carb, which can cause a fire and or simply ruin the H/O carb. (A carb that is getting harder and harder to find... ) There are plenty of tricks to improve flow of your exhaust, without pissing off the Smog Nazi's... What they cant see, they wont know... That said, the Olds 307 is a bit far from its "Rocket Olds" brethren of yore, but it was pretty slick for its day. Little healthier cam, clean up the head's ports, a cleanup of the valves, massage the intake manifold's plenum, mandrel bent exhaust parts (ie no kinks)... .

Now, correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt there 2 versions of the Olds 307 exhaust manifolds? Thicker ones used on Caddy's, Wagons, & Tow Package-equipped B cars?

As for the Air Cleaner issue... solutions can be pretty simple and as easy as the boneyard. If you can find an older Olds aircleaner with the larger snorkel and duct, you can swap it on and they might not even realize it...

Comparatively, Chevy had used a few exhaust tricks to squeeze a little juice out of their CCC Qjet 305... The F-Body L69 has a bunch of things that really stepped it up over the LG4... amongst the healthy list was a few on the exhaust... They have larger I.D. exhaust manifolds (later reused for the LB9 & L98 TPI F-Body's) 3" Y Pipe, 3" cat, 3" headpipe out to a highflow muffler to (2) 2 1/2" tailpipes...

Notable 80's GM air induction/air cleaner layouts... The '82 (Crossfire only), '83 (crossfire & L69), & all '84 T/As (LG4 & L69) used a "functional" cowl induction hood (turbo hood) that had a special air lid with a hole that sealed to the hood but used the basic V8 F-Body air cleaner... Crossfire's have a larger diamond-shaped hole that mayes to a special air cleaner...LG4/L69 has a round circle hole.
The '82/'83 Z28 w/ crossfire used a functional ram air hood that mated to the Crossfire air cleaner (different from the Firebird version)
The'83/'86 Z28/IROC-Z w/ L69 used a true dual snorkel air cleaner that has seperate ducts that attatch to the rad support... its very close in design as the late 70's/early 80's Vette design, but slightly different, & the ducting wasnt the same.
In '85, the T/A was redesigned and the Turbo hood was abandoned, so Pontiac used Chevy's dual snorkel on the L69 T/As is '85 & '86.
GM re-Issued this dual snorkel for its ZZ3/ZZ4 50-state Emissions Legal 3rd Gen F-Body swap.l
The '88 Monte had an uber-rare dual snorkel available, Ive only seen 2. Not sure if it was a Dealer/Parts Counter item or actual Chevy option on the L69.

And sadly, there is the H/O - 442 307 air cleaner... really a piss-poor design there.. put a second, "open" snorkel, pointing towards the firewall, mere inches from said firewall, to suck in all that nice and Hot, dirty air.. at least they had actual ductwork going to the Rad Support.

All in All, All GM did was pretty much take air cleaner parts already in their bins and tack them on... using stock GM pieces to create a better dual snorkel for your Olds wouldnt be hard. You can cut off another long snorkel from an Olds 307 air cleaner, tackweld or rivet it onto your "good" one, cut the hole in it, add a Tee into the thermovac's vacuum line to operate the second thermovac... then hunt down a V6 Pass Side duct setup.... its the mirror of the Olds 307 one but a little hard to find. Paint it all GM engine black and youre done... if the smog Nazis ask, point to all of the stock GM pieces and say you repainted it because it was ugly with rust. .

I added a little to my post above, so please take a second looksee... =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor