Fabricating repair panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
Hey everyone, new guy here. I just picked up an 85 Regal a few weeks ago for next to nothing and was planning on using it as a project/spare time fixer upper. It is pretty rusted out in the rear quarters around the wheelwells, rocker panels, and floorboards and bottom of the doors. So, I was pretty much thinking (due to lack of body panel availability and the fact that if I could find them they'd probably be out of my price range anyway) of fabricating a lot of my panels myself. I've read a few books on metal fab and have seen where they completely built a new floor for an old 40's car from scratch, so I know it can be done.
I live in the rust-belt of Ohio, so the chances of finding another 25 year old Regal in a scrapyard for parts are slim to none, so please don't bother suggesting it.
I took bodyshop way back in high school (vocational class) so I'm not intimidated by the task ahead. All, I'm looking for is some input, suggestions and/or pics that may help along the way. Anyone done any extensive work like this? Thanks.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
So nobody here has ever had to fix some body rot? Really?

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
maybe if a mod could move this topic to the general area it might get seen more

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
What I have always tried to do, was cut my and form my patch panel to fit perfectly butted up with the car. No lap joints, yes it take longer but it's much easier to hide you work when done this way.
Here is an example of a recent one (not a G body but you'll get the idea)
thumbnail pics.....
cut out all bad
make patch
welded up
grind it off
Hope that helps

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Take a roadtrip to Erie Pa, theres a junkyard here with plenty of regals and cutlasses...

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
What part of Ohio are you in? My shops in Ostrander, just outside of Delaware City limits. Us GBody guys need to stick together, there isn't many in Ohio.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
DelOhio said:
What part of Ohio are you in? My shops in Ostrander, just outside of Delaware City limits. Us GBody guys need to stick together, there isn't many in Ohio.
Elyria Ohio, I've been to Del Ohio, not close at all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor