Fellow New Yorker's, looks like the party might over for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
And that's the rub, and happening all over.

If your tiny, insular, self aggrandizing community decide something is what you want for yourselves and like it, or, decide it works/is necessary for you, you've got no business trying to force it upon everyone else. Yet, over and over, it's happening everywhere.

As many of you note, when 300 Sq mi are dictating the rules for 55,000 Sq mi, that's a problem.
Same thing that goes on in the country, and I'm guessing to the north of us as well after watching 40 pages regarding 'getting out of Dodge' referencing Ottawa.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Ah, Ottawa. Good ole' By Town. Originally named so by the regimental colonel who established the first settlement there. Mike did get it right in one major respect. For By, sub in Bye, as in "Good Bye" or, and more appropriately, A*M*F*, and you have just about nailed the sentiment that most Canadians have for their federal capitol. Les Froggoisies, over the river, even get to say it two languages. New Yorkers don't get that luxury; over the river for them means landing in New Joisey and that is a whole 'nother story.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ah, Ottawa. Good ole' By Town. Originally named so by the regimental colonel who established the first settlement there. Mike did get it right in one major respect. For By, sub in Bye, as in "Good Bye" or, and more appropriately, A*M*F*, and you have just about nailed the sentiment that most Canadians have for their federal capitol. Les Froggoisies, over the river, even get to say it two languages. New Yorkers don't get that luxury; over the river for them means landing in New Joisey and that is a whole 'nother story.
But, "joisey" does sort of have its own second language... I mean, not sure you can really call it English.

I think it devolved as a side effect of poisoning from mass overdosing on sunless tanning cream.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
And that's the rub, and happening all over.

If your tiny, insular, self aggrandizing community decide something is what you want for yourselves and like it, or, decide it works/is necessary for you, you've got no business trying to force it upon everyone else. Yet, over and over, it's happening everywhere.

As many of you note, when 300 Sq mi are dictating the rules for 55,000 Sq mi, that's a problem.
The worst part of this ? Since the pandemic started the eastern end of LI has started to fill up with citiots. The majority of the locals arent too happy about it. I guess some of the business owners and the people selling their houses and bailing out of this overtaxed sandbar are happy but the rest of us look at it as a nightmare.
A few years ago we were looking into getting out of here. Now it looks like were staying to be close to out kids and future grandkids. In a way it might be a good thing. Our first choice was NC but from what my friends that have moved are telling me that state is filling up with the same kind of people that I wanted to get away from. Entitled New Yorkers from the city and Nassau county.

• Haha

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
ck80 re "But, "joisey" does sort of have its own second language... I mean, not sure you can really call it English."

"I think it devolved as a side effect of poisoning from mass overdosing on sunless tanning cream."

Now that's funny.

Mikester, sorry, the lol wasn't meant for you; once posted apparently they can't be retracted. It was supposed to go to the post above you. my bad.

Nick

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
But, "joisey" does sort of have its own second language... I mean, not sure you can really call it English.

I think it devolved as a side effect of poisoning from mass overdosing on sunless tanning cream.
You have a problem with NJ?

• Haha

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You have a problem with NJ?
Interesting question, not sure if it's serious, or more of a Joe pesci type joking back.

I will say this. I worked for a company with a home office and warehouse there, and, had to go there time to time. Was not a fan.

I've driven through some, not all parts, both related to visiting sites for that company, and later after the move south as a way to cross into new England to visit family. Wasn't a fan of places I went to.

I've known people from there. Like anywhere else, some were OK, and a number were not (fully living up to the worst stereotypes.)

It's ultra high-tax while being low on value for money as far as services provided. I mean, for more than a decade they've been promising free pre-k, and one of the candidates for gov yet again promised it, without any plan to pay for it and hoping that massive inflation accelerator gets jammed through congress without a proper/normal vote in the senate to help fund it. Mean while, my current state (with its own share of problems) where we pay a fraction of the taxes has had free universal pre-k from 4yr olds regardless of income since 1995. Does it without needing national debt driving inflation spurring printing press handouts either, state lottery money goes towards it and funding high percentage of tuition state college scholarships for anyone with grades to deserve it.

So, it's not my cup of tea, and I'd never live there regardless of the job you offered me. I wouldn't say I hate it out of spite. But. I will take my opportunities to poke fun at it, even if you had bon Jovi and springsteen.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Interesting question, not sure if it's serious, or more of a Joe pesci type joking back.

I will say this. I worked for a company with a home office and warehouse there, and, had to go there time to time. Was not a fan.

I've driven through some, not all parts, both related to visiting sites for that company, and later after the move south as a way to cross into new England to visit family. Wasn't a fan of places I went to.

I've known people from there. Like anywhere else, some were OK, and a number were not (fully living up to the worst stereotypes.)

It's ultra high-tax while being low on value for money as far as services provided. I mean, for more than a decade they've been promising free pre-k, and one of the candidates for gov yet again promised it, without any plan to pay for it and hoping that massive inflation accelerator gets jammed through congress without a proper/normal vote in the senate to help fund it. Mean while, my current state (with its own share of problems) where we pay a fraction of the taxes has had free universal pre-k from 4yr olds regardless of income since 1995. Does it without needing national debt driving inflation spurring printing press handouts either, state lottery money goes towards it and funding high percentage of tuition state college scholarships for anyone with grades to deserve it.

So, it's not my cup of tea, and I'd never live there regardless of the job you offered me. I wouldn't say I hate it out of spite. But. I will take my opportunities to poke fun at it, even if you had bon Jovi and springsteen.

You can have non jovi and Springsteen. Not a fan.

• Haha

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You can have non jovi and Springsteen. Not a fan.
Question though, any news on when mom and dad in the statehouse will decide youse guys are mature enough to pump your own gas?:LOL:

• Haha

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Think I'd classify New Jersey as bi-polar. The western half of the state is actually quite pleasant, green and lush and worth a visit.

The eastern half and the shores are, I dunno, also sort of storybook material, if you are into stories about post apocalyptic desolation. Lots of industry and little greenery. No birds, the trees eat them. Apart from that, well I'm no Bon Juvie fan either, but Springsteen, well that's another story and to tell that tale you need a wicked amp and some mega serious speakers.

Nick

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor