FINALLY A VFN W-30 Ram Air Hood for the 78-80 Cutlass !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Re: FINALLY A VFN W-30 Ram Air Hood for the 78-80 Cutlass !!

would love to see some pictures on a car to see how that looks on our 78-80s.

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010

Well here are the first pics on a car, unfortunately the hood is not bolted on or closed in the photo the customer sent, it is resting in place and not latched. I did reply to him and asked if it was possible for a few more with the hood closed, so hopefully I can post some others soon.
In picture number 2 , notice the trim piece is removed, and it doesn't look like much is needed to have the holes filled, and that point will lead right into the point that is on the hood, which answers an earlier question regarding that trim,

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ahkjak/me9bhxue2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ahkjak/me9bhxue.jpg[/img]

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010

Finally! I like it. It makes it look like a fire breathing dragon with flared nostrils ready to sneeze fire. But thats just me.

I want to see a car done up all in one color with a W-30 1972 Viking Blue color scheme and white stripes and all. the 78-80 had such great potential to be live up to the 72 design with slightly more angled appearance.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.

Hey Armondo,

This hood looks like a really neat offering for the Olds guys. I don't want to steer this thread away from the original topic, but I wanted to make a request. I've been bugging Jean at your place for a couple years about making a "Pontiac style" hood for the 78-81 Pontiac Lemans - G/A, since before you even had the flat hood available. A good friend of mine bought one of the first 4" Orts hoods that you made for 1st gen Firebirds and I heard that you will be making him a set of inner fenders for a '70 GTO now. Anyway, you should check out this thread and see if you can offer anything up that would help us Pontiac guys out? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34833

Thanks,
Troy

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010

tdvick said:
Hey Armondo,

This hood looks like a really neat offering for the Olds guys. I don't want to steer this thread away from the original topic, but I wanted to make a request. I've been bugging Jean at your place for a couple years about making a "Pontiac style" hood for the 78-81 Pontiac Lemans - G/A, since before you even had the flat hood available. A good friend of mine bought one of the first 4" Orts hoods that you made for 1st gen Firebirds and I heard that you will be making him a set of inner fenders for a '70 GTO now. Anyway, you should check out this thread and see if you can offer anything up that would help us Pontiac guys out? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34833

Thanks,
Troy
Hi Troy I am familiar with that request, but... we kinda need to know there is a market there, we'd at least like to offer something that is going to appeal to more than one person (several actually), The Old's was an easier decision, it needed something that pays homage to earlier versions of the Cutlass. I think the Orts suggestion or something like it to compliment the leman's is a definite possibility but we need more people who want a cowl on board first.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.

Armondo,

I'll send you a PM. I don't want to take this thread off topic. You have a really cool new hood to show off!

Thanks again,
Troy

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010

Alright Guy's our customer was nice enough to send some more photos with the grills back on and the hood in place, as you can see alignment is great and it definitely screams OLDSMOBILE!!!!
he also commented on the trim piece goes down the center of the hood and for those that would want their factory trim it will work, but would have a few difficult spot's to attach the nut on the trim screw due to the airbox, but does fit on top

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ahkjak/78-80 442 4_zps97039f7a.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ahkjak/78-80 442 3_zps8c09c95f.jpg[/img]

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore

This looks great! I hope that one day they 81-88 Cutlass hood gets the angle of the scoops aligned with the grilles like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor