Finally Doing A Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
3XBrownCutty said:
nice cutlass!! definitely like what you have in store for it! I vote do the rally wheels to match the vinyl roof. i think it will tie everything together.

I'm running 15's and 14's right now. figured id throw you a picture to see what it'll look like. I definitely like it a lot.
101_0863.jpg

I've read thru your whole build and liked everything you've done with your Cutlass, you have great taste, your's is one of my favorites on here! even that VW you got is pretty sweet! you really get 38 mpg's with that? don't let that hail damage discourage ya, you've come to far to let that get in the way, get a fresh repaint, you ever seen the sunset bronze mica color on the '09 Toyota Venza's? I originally wanted to paint my other car that color, it's a nice mettallic brown...just a thought, since yours is already a shade of brown...

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Thanks for the compliments!! 8) I absolutely love that toyota color, even in pictures it looks awesome, especially when the sun hits it right. that is definitely in the running for when i do repaint it.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
about a week after I got it..I was reversing and carelessly hit a square tube support on a car port! that same day I got on craigslist and found a replacement header panel and bumper cover and a passenger side fender for $150..I needed a driver fender but since my passenger side fender needs replacing, i went ahead a got it! all clean parts...i got busy and swapped it out the next day...but I rode w/o a fender for a couple weeks :?

fixed5a.jpg

fixed6.jpg

I just used gloss white Krylon to shoot my bumper cover and header panel. the paint on them was good so I just scuffed them with a scotchbrite. I like fill a lil bucket of dawn soap and water and dip my scothbrite in and scuff that way...I like to wet sand/scuff as much as I can...cuts down on dust and cleans the part at the same time

fixed4.jpg

u can see the damage on my fender...it was pretty bad for just reversing at like 1 mph lol...i was so mad at myself for doing something so stupid! :evil:

bumper.jpg

also spent a couple hours swapping out my rear bumper...didn't know how much of a chore it was gonna be, ended up working late into the night...my drivers side bumper shock was pushed in and the chrome wasn't that great and it bothered me, I got the rear bumper off my old cutlass and installed it, much cleaner. I even polished it with some neverdull before.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
bumpers.jpg

I'm assuming they switched over to aluminum bumper supports in '86..my '85's was steel. you could tell the difference in wieght! I didn't have a torx bit for the bolts at the bottom of the bumper to remove and swap over the aluminum support to my cleaner bumper, but I'm gonna hold on to it. i went ahead and shot some fresh satin black on it...i know it'll never be seen but it bothered me so why not

scoopp.jpg

here's how good the header panel and bumper cover came out...for spray paint. I'm happy with the results...the color is a brighter white than the og paint, but I didn't expect it to match, it's close enough tho. I did some bodywork on the scoop and shot it with a fresh coat of Dupli-color's factory matched spray paint. I found that the Toyota color Natural White matched closely to the Original paint than the Krylon did. I'm still workin out my center chrome hood trim

etch2.jpg

found a fender. I took it down to bare metal and shot some etch primer. this fender had the fiber optic fender light...I left it on cuz i liked it...even tho it wasn't a option on my car

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
lowtech.jpg

then shot a couple coats of white primer, followed by a wet sand with 320 and then a couple coats of the Dupli-color Toyota paint...I could of took it further and shot some clear, because it doesn't shine, but I let it slide...when i striped the fender I left the factory texture coat on the right hand corner, then i shot some satin black like the factory did

...then I rewarded it with lil photoshoot :D...the whole front end minus the hood was done with spray paint! one day I'll get a real paint job, but for now, I can live with it. just a clean daily driver

Broughamposter2.jpg

fiberglass2.jpg

HurstO.jpg

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
handcut Olds rocket logos for the tailights

Attachments

• alley20.jpg
    alley20.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 746
  • bumpguard.jpg
    bumpguard.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 733
  • prephoto.jpg
    prephoto.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 745
  • pre photo.jpg
    pre photo.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 741

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
thanks Blake! it's been a while...

Attachments

• alley9.jpg
    alley9.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 681
  • bobby.jpg
    bobby.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 693
  • alley2.jpg
    alley2.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 681
  • bobby7a.jpg
    bobby7a.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 690

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
needed some more highs, I've seen the ones for sale on gbody parts, but you gotta cut into the factory sheetmetal because of the speaker magnets, I didn't wanna do that, plus I wanted to keep my factory trim piece in the back

Attachments

• rear panel.jpg
    rear panel.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 679
  • rear panel2.jpg
    rear panel2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 677

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
I've learned that before I do anything to my car, I gotta do the research and find out as much as I can before I go thru with it myself, just like now, I'm still searching for a new wheel and tire setup, but I really wanted to lower my car, I was aiming for 3"

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 651
  • low4.jpg
    low4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 642
  • low5.jpg
    low5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 654
  • low3.jpg
    low3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 638
  • low2.jpg
    low2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 648
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor