Finally Doing A Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
have these rear swaybar spacers that I got from gbodyparts.com...for $20 they shipped em to me with grease and grime on em, once I cleaned em up, I saw there were very "seasoned" so I wire wheeled em, and dipped em in Muriatic acid, then sprayed a couple coats of rustoleom...anybody need em? I had the guy at work make me some outta 3/16 flat and tubing identical to these minus the lil hangers

rearbarspace.jpg

also have this thing layin around from when I had it on my car a couple years ago, wanna get rid of it, asking $90 obo plus shipping...just needs a good polishing everything else is in great shape, and the filter is new
scoop-2.jpg

scoop2-1.jpg

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
so I filled the header panel where the hood ornament goes, and and I wanna do the same on my hood and scoop, but how would I go about fillin the spot on the hood? I was thinking fiberglass bondo but will that crack?? also how would I go about gettin the "peak" in the center rather than just having it flat

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Lots of careful block sanding is what it'll take to get a sharp body line down the center of the hood as opposed to it tuning out flat looking.

I say fill 'er up with Dura-glass (fiberglass filler) and use regular filler after that.
Then I guess just try not to slam your hood too hard...

I could probably use those sway bar spacer deals if I ever get around to getting a rear bar for my wagon...

Bernhard

Greasemonkey
May 14, 2009
Are you talking about the molding holes on the hood if so, if the hood is steel you can mig them shut but go very slowly. The hood is the hardest part to do on these cars. It is easy to warp them with to much heat once you do that it will take alot of work and a fine touch to fix. The steel is very thin on the hoods and it does not take much to put a dent in them. As far as the front header they are made of plastic find out what kind it is made of and get a repair kit for it.They require special prep as well and some times filler as well. If you do not repair it wright you can get ghosting through the paint basically you can see the outline of were the hole was,as well as your flex cracking.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
I'm Back! sold my old Cutlass and got another one...a way cleaner and original '86 Supreme Brougham. the guy who bought it just wanted the motor, so I got to keep all the parts I wanted from it and then some, turned out to be a win-win for me. I sold it and got the new one for the same price, it was like an even swap! had to travel 2 hrs to get it but I talked the guy down alot, which ended up being the price I sold mine for, and I'm glad, because come to find out, the motor had bad compression and blow by, it was the original Olds 307. almost a month after I had it, the water pump ended up goin out and overheated and since that motor was crap anyway, there was no sense in fixing the water pump, so I bought a low mileage rebuilt 307 that came out of a 85 Buick, and had my mechanic drop it in for me. didn't wanna go thru the whole rebuilding a motor process again, I've learned alot from that other car, I know my limits and I'm not gonna go the same route with this one, it was just a never ending project, I'll admit, I bit off more than I could chew, and call me a quitter, but I never woulda been able to fix it up the way I would of wanted, so I just had to start fresh...I just want something clean and original, but with factory mods, it is my daily after all. It feels so much better to have a complete car that I can take to a car wash and actually enjoy! well enough talk...here it is...Blake442, what's up man! it's been awhile!

100_1062.jpg

how it looked when I bought it...rolled it like this for a month, gotta appreciate the Supreme Broughams in stock form, they were quite elegant with the trim package, 1/4 top and wire wheel caps

whiteblack3.jpg

all cleaned up...you can see the *ss end of my seafoam green 2 door '54 Chevy 210 if you look closely :)

oldss.jpg

painted headlight bezels like the 442's, and swapped the clear parking lights for the ambers, and added the Hurst/Olds scoop

rocketabilene2a.jpg

..and the powdercoated black Rally's from my old car

rocketabilene3a.jpg

the scoop is so subtle that you don't really notice it

rocketabilene.jpg
80's mid 90's dealer emblems from a local Rocket Oldsmobile dealership. found this at the wrecking yard and thought it'd be a cool lil touch

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
Burnhard said:
Welcome back your new car looks nice,any plans for the Olds?

thanks Burnhard! I wanna lower it a lil, install my front and rear swaybars, clean up and detail the engine bay, get the white top redone in dark blue to match my interior, which is good shape minus the carpet, top of the dash and armrests. I don't know if I wanna redo the rims in white or dark blue powdercoat, maybe upgrade the rears to 15" rallys and go the offset route, i still need some center caps, eventually get a fresh repaint, the body has lil dings and dents, nothing too major, I can live with it for now. I gotta replace the passenger side fender, the previous owner had a blowout, and install the missing passenger side mirror. stupid me, reversed and hit a pole backing out...idk what I was thinking, but I had to replace the drivers side fender and header panel and bumper cover, the header and bumper cover i just used Krylon, I know not the right way to do it but you can't really tell, laid the paint down pretty well. I'm gonna get the factory color mixed in a spray can and shoot the scoop and fender after I strip it. It didn't have a stereo, so I put in a factory cassette deck with a tape adapter to listen to my ipod lol..it works for now

fenderbender.jpg

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
nice cutlass!! definitely like what you have in store for it! I vote do the rally wheels to match the vinyl roof. i think it will tie everything together.

I'm running 15's and 14's right now. figured id throw you a picture to see what it'll look like. I definitely like it a lot.
101_0863.jpg

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
White olds G bodys look good,If your going to replace the half vinyl roof why not just remove it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor