Finally Doing A Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000.malibu.ls said:
i may copy you lol, i have been thinking some of the same things, but if i do mine it will be fiberglass probably..

here's my "custom" version from 2003! haha never finsihed it, it's molded with bondo, i was a junior in highschool autobody class, i tried to be cool and make something, i molded the CD player trim ring in, the olds emblem is from the steering wheel horn button, didn't really like the final look, the bottom is broken off
molded.jpg

also made this for a project back in '03 for autobody class, looks good, but was my first time messing with fiberglass and all the bondo covers up whats underneath, it's a monstrosity! never really got to test it out and see if it could bump...won a Sharpe T-1 paint gun tho, that I've never used and plan on using to shoot my car with finally!
speakerboxx.jpg

oh....and a pic of how my car looked back then....307 and all
og.jpg

sorry to say......................but I liked your car better BEFORE. kinda think ya butchered a nice car

i guess some can't leave well enough alone

peace

just curious how did you ever like those subs that you used in those boxes? I have never heard anything about them but always been tempted to get them

dudeface said:
sorry to say......................but I liked your car better BEFORE. kinda think ya butchered a nice car

i guess some can't leave well enough alone

peace

you know what....i agree. I didn't know much back then as i do now, I mean i've always loved cars, and the cutlass in particular, but I was young, keep in mind this was my first car, my high school car, i was 15 bout to be 16 when i got it. My cousin was 2nd owner, he was 19 when he had it, he put some 13 inch wires on it and didn't really take care of the car when he had it, it was mint when he bought it from the orignal owner, had the wire wheel oldsmobile hubcaps and everything. it was his daily driver. when i acquired it, it was clean, but still had it's flaws, the car wasn't perfect, it was all there, but not perfect. i left it alone like that from 02-05, then started having a job and money to do stuff to my car with. your right, the car was nice, but I promise you, when i'm done, it'll look just as nice. oh i do miss it and if i could do it all over again, i'd just repaint it the same color and leave the wire wheel hubcaps on it and keep it looking stock as the broughams look so classy like that, but I can't go back in time, and i'm doing what i can to get it to look just as nice

78mali350 said:
just curious how did you ever like those subs that you used in those boxes? I have never heard anything about them but always been tempted to get them

man to be honest, I never really had an amp to push all 3, and never really used them, they were just there...they looked cool tho, the magnets and everything, but i don't remember how they sounded

lol, im a junior in high school, and i just got the car, so i guess im starting off the same place as you lol.

so i decided to work on the front bumper cover yesterday, getting rid of the double sided taped that the chrome trim strips were attached with was the hardest part! i tried acetone, denatured alcohol, and finally found success with WD40. i sprayed it and then let it soak in then "chiseled" it away with a small flathead screwdriver. the acetone just made it gum up and was a bad idea. i used 80 grit to get the leftover residue, then followed with 180 over the whole thing, DA and hand sanding using a paint stick to get in the grooves. i used silicone, wax and grease remover to get the rest of the residue (didin't want to dig in the urethane with the 80 grit)i scothbrited the whole thing the cleaned it agian and shot it with some epoxy primer. the tab that sits behind the license plate was broken on the ends, i used some aluminum, and sandwiched the tab in between them and riveted it together. still gotta drill my holes for the license plate to mount. does anyone know where i can find the lil plastic things that pop in the bumper to hold the license plate screws???? I'm using zip-ties to hold my plate on now haha ghetto i know

bodywork22.jpg
the bumper cover, still in real good condition

bodywork23.jpg

bodywork24.jpg
looks like a brand new bumper cover

bodywork25.jpg

had to swap these out. is there anyway to fix the crack in my original one and still keep it strong, i know the license plate has a lot of tension on this part, the only thing wrong with the maroon one is that it's missing a piece out of it up top which you can't really see in the pic
bodywork28.jpg

i primed this quarter up as well. the trunk is really giving me problems, i can't get it to block right. i think mainly cuz it needs to be shrunk with a shrinking disc. it's "oil canning" in some spots
bodywork29.jpg

bodywork27.jpg

scuffed with 180 to shoot some more epoxy, the goal that day was to just get my roof epoxyied, but i went ahead and reshot this quarter and door and trunk
bodywork33.jpg

i went ahead and re shot 2 coats epoxy on this side again
bodywork30.jpg

bodywork34.jpg
my lil spot at work where I keep the parts i'm working on at, that trailer axel is not mine

bodywork35.jpg
my rear bumper cover prepped, the chrome strips and double sided tape came off this one easier, tryin to figure out how to brace the spot where the license plate is as it's real flimsy, was thinking bout making an aluminum "can" to fit on the underside of that part and double side tapping it on there, will keep it nice and flat too

bodywork37.jpg
my drivers side fender epoxy primed and my window to trunk filler panel that I stripped to bare metal

bodywork40.jpg
rear bumper cover again, bout to epoxy prime it....thing is so flimsy!

bodywork38.jpg
after 3 good coats of epoxy. can see some lil spots I need to hit with glazing putty was gonna do the filler work on top of the primer, the license plate rubbed 2 cuts where i'm guessing the corners of the license plate frame hit, wasnt' from me, i fill up all the time and never have any probs, i guess aggresive license plate openers lol....

bodywork39.jpg
wet sanded with 320 on my front bumper cover, had a couple tiny spots that needed some glazing putty, then had enough epoxy in the gun to shoot one coat over it again

bodywork42.jpg
using Dupli-colors etch prime front and back 3 coats 2 light, then one uniform coat. My epoxy is DTM but I wanted a lil added protection, and the underside even tho I prepped real well, still had some minor pitting so i used the etch prime to take care of that.

bodywork41.jpg
3 coats epoxy front and back, you can see a lil dent, and i have 2 other lil ones that I'll use glazing putty on later.....still have my High Build Poly Primer to shoot over all my epoxy

bodywork43.jpg
How I'm driving my car around....funny thing is, people still give me props and tell me the car looks bad *ss even with the front fender and the bumper covers off and 2 different colors, a guy at work calls it the "road warrior" lol, it's cool that people respect that its a work in progress, I love IT!!!! the other day the guy working at the shell station i stopped to fill up at came out for a break, and walked over and asked about the car, he flipped when I popped the hood and he seen what i had under there. he didn't even expect it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor