Finally Doing A Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People that don't appreciate a car in that state need a new hobby. I see cars at cruises like that all the time and think 'sweet, another project underway'.

so my chrome bumpers aren't in the best of shape...just a thought...keep in mind I'm keeping the chrome rocker trim, how would it look with body color painted bumper, but keep the bumper guards chrome. I'm thinkin repainting the same cream color...

Yeah, painting the bumpers would look like *ss with the stock trim. Remember that the lower trim ties in to the bumpers visually as they together form a band of shiny metal along the bottom of the car. Eliminating the chrome on the bumpers would break up the visual cohesion from the face of the car in relation to the side in a 3/4 profile view. My chrome looks like *ss too. I polished it the best I could and left it be. The chroming GM did on these cars was not of a very good quality and tended to pit within a few years of when the car was new. However, rechroming the bumpers is easily as expensive as the cost of a rebuilt transmission. Don't sweat it too much. It's an old car and it won't be perfect unless you spend a fortune on little details like that. Just do the best you can and enjoy driving it. If it's too nice, you will be afraid to drive it had and that's no fun!

true...I'm trying to expect perfection when I know that's impossible, that's the stuff that kinda gets me overwhelmed, I tend to have "high expectations" for the my car I guess like everyone of us does, just trying to get it done right and to the best of my ability...knowing I'm no professional, just an enthusiast....well I'm prob gonna order up some more primer and materials this week...

in the meantime, check the new tattoo...took two 4 1/2 hour sessions to get it to look like in the pic...still need more shading on the car, but after about 3 hours the pain get's pretty intense, specially on a skinny guy like me lol...the guy is very talented, he has the hand and eye for it, he's a friend of mine who's only been tattooing for 4 years but his work speaks for itself

it's a portrait of a pic i have on this thread
cuttatt2.jpg

closer pic
cuttatt3.jpg

hurstrearseats2.jpg

seats2.jpg

my buckets, they are in ok shape, but why not get them recovered while they are out the car...

I'm gonna get my pops to reupholster my bucket seats that I got from ebay and a non pillow top rear seat from my parts car and I was wondering where I could find these "buttons" i guess you call them that...my dad said to do w/o them and I might if i can't find any...any opinions on type of material? i was thinking close to oringinal material, cloth and vinyl sides in the tan/camel color...

another question that bugs me is my doors and the latches, don't know if they are something to really worry about just want you guys opinion....
latch.jpg

just looks beat up, this is the pass door that i recentyl changed the door pins on

latch2.jpg

door works fine though

doorhinge.jpg

drivers side upper door hinge...again door works good

door.jpg

bottoms of passenger door what is the best way to go about go about fixing this? i cut out the worst part

wow i do have that same exact problem on the bottom of my passenger door make sure you replace youre weather stripping water might be getting inside and rotting it out

78PontiacGP said:
wow i do have that same exact problem on the bottom of my passenger door make sure you replace youre weather stripping water might be getting inside and rotting it out

yeah my drivers side door is bad too, but I have yet to get the wire wheel on it, lots of scale tho...this one was bad, but I've seen worse on other ppls car...wierd cuz the rest of the car has no rust issues at all and the weather stripping didn't seem to bad so idk....and yes I will be replacing weatherstripping all the way around after it's painted..

also...that middle spot where the oval is, I know that's not rot, but what were the lil plastic inserts in those for? are those big drain holes? or some kind of door bumper when the door closed and rested on the rockers

I don't know if you'll be able to come across new square things for the seats, but you may be able to cut the old ones out and take them apart and reuse them. I'm not positive though... just an idea.

The wear on your door latches is a direct result of sagging hinge pins. When the door sags, the striker is no longer centered in the opening for the latch, and it catches the edge, making them hard to close.
Since you're replaced your hinge pins, you don't have to worry about it getting worse.
A lot of times you can pull out the latch mechanisim and straighten the lip of the opening with a hammer and dolly. I can't remember how much room them give you in there...

That oval shaped hole is a drain, albeit not a very good one...
Once that hot Texas sun dries out your beltline seals (window fuzzies), water easily gets into the door shell, settling right in that lower lip, rotting out the door from the inside, even down south.

this is how I spent my friday night. after work I clocked out then got to work on my car

highbuild4.jpg

shaved my antenna hole, tacked in piece of metal, then filled, and grinded out the problem spot on my pillar where I had a stress crack showing thru the epoxy primer, I grinded it out and tried fiberglass filler this time around..after that I blocked my epoxy, had about a dozen low spots, but didn't glaze them was gonna see if the Polyester Primer would fill them. I spot primed the bare metal areas with epoxy then....
highbuild2.jpg

...shot 2 coats of the poly-prime...excuse the ghetto mask job, need to buy some plastic sheeting and masking paper
highbuild.jpg

even got the header panel
highbuild5.jpg

guide coated then called it a night.

I have a question, the poly prime came with a liquid hardener, but most of it leaked out during shipping. I used what I had to do my 2 coats...I read there are MEK, and MEKP...MEK is a activator and MEKP is a hardener, like what you use with fiberglass...I bought 2 tubes of MEKP but have yet to use them was gonna see if anybody could shed some light and tell me something?

also. I took off the door weatherstripping, my dad mentioned that would be bad for my door hinges, is that correct? I'm tryin to get the outside bodywork done, then take the doors off so I can do the inner doors and jambs, and new weahterstripping installed after but I dont' want to mess up my hinges :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor