firearms: what ya got or want to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I've owned an m44 and currently have a finish hexagonal receiver mosin nagant. You get what you pay for of course. In my experience a 100 bucks doesn't carry you very far in the firearms world. BUT they aren't too bad. Surplus ammo is corrosive so cleaning immediately after shooting is necessary. I wouldn't store one of these guns with your favorite guns either. Mine hangs on the wall just for show. Kinda cool to have hanging in the living room. As far as accuracy goes, for a 100 bucks they aren't bad. If you were to ever pick up an m44 make sure you double up on the ear protection. They rattle my fillings.

To answer your question about medium range bolt rifles. You absolutely cannot beat a savage for cost/value. On top of them being plenty accurate and cheap, cheap is relative I suppose but in the gun world they are cheap priced, they are like a sbc in terms of modifications. Also depending on what action you have, long or short action. Example, a .223 would be a short action, a 338 win mag would be a long action you can swap barrels for different calibers and it is extremely easy to do. Barrels and a bolt face are changed for the caliber of your choice. When I say easy I mean anybody with a bench vice and the barrel nut tool can SAFELY change barrels. You can go from .243 to .308 with the same gun. Or since they are cheap enough just buy both guns :) I am no marksman but my savage 116 30-06 with a nikon prostaff scope can print about 5 inch 3 shot groups at 350 yards. That is not stellar by any means but my eyes suck and im just not a great rifle shooter. In the hands of somebody else I am sure it is much more capable.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I was thinking of the Mosin as the equivalent to a VW Bug. Cheap, simple, and pretty reliable. I've seen a few sporter projects that looked fun. I think it'd be an entertaining exercise. Seems that some shoot tight and some are all over the place. Think that's the rifle or the shooter?

The Savage info is just what I was looking for. How about the Ruger M77?

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Well these mosins are 70-80 year old re arseneled cheaply made rifles made in haste during WWII. They were produced for the masses to overwhelm the better armed but smaller numbered germans. So they wanted reliablity first then accuracy. They are hit and miss in my experience. You need to check the bore really well. Make sure it has no pitting and still hassharp rifling. They make a cheap rifle to shoot. I know people that hunt deer with them. The caliber is plenty capable. Ammo choices are limited however but there are still a few commercial options other than surplus. Rugers are fantastic guns. An m77 is on my to own list.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Anyone else a little sick to their stomachs after King Barry's speech this morning?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It made me sick, and mad.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
So they can be exploited to push agendas. Even when I was a kid I would not have fallen for this stuff.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It was in pretty poor taste to have those kids on stage behind him IMO. I feel like I'm watching a horribly scripted reality show.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It was very manipulative, not even subtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor