First big road trip for the Cutlass!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
Thursday morning, about 5 AM I will be leaving Michigan in the Cutlass heading out to New York to see my girlfriend! I have taken my Saturn out there every other time until now, but this is a special weekend cause it is her birthday Friday, she just got her associates, and she will be moving here next weekend... needless to say she is having a bigass party Saturday :mrgreen:

Until this trip, I have not taken the Cutlass on anything more then a 2.5 hour trip from my house to Detroit for the Woodward Dream Cruise. This trip should probably take about eight or nine hours, and will be stopping in Erie Pennsylvania for much on the way there. I am hoping to nail down 12 MPG and find gas for $4.30 / gallon (premium) if I can do that I figure the trip there and back as well as driving around for the weekend will run about $500 in gas :shock:

So far over the last few days...
Changed diff fluid
Changed oil / filter
Got my power steering working (haven't had power steering since last June)
Swapped alternators (old one was squealing bad from a junk bearing)
Eliminated my flex fan
Installed an electric cooling fan
Recovered the top part of my door panels
Cleaned up the Interior

On the list for tomorrow...
Check / fill trans fluid (slow leak from bad seal for driveshaft)
Check brake fluid
Wash / wax (if no rain)
Dressing on tires
Load car up
Get gas

Gonna be one hell of an awesome road trip, bringing along three friends as well 8)

86cutty209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2011
thats awsome man glad to hear! and congrats to ur lady too bro thats koo she got a degree. I got a PHD myself....Public Highschool Diploma. lol na but ur car should hold u just fine. Personally I purchased my cutty from florida and drove it back to cali with not one problem. Have a good one man! btw i was getting 18.45 mpg goin 85mph throught texas! :mrgreen:

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I always like to re torque the wheels before a road trip.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Enjoy the ride. Even at say 75mph & loaded down she should do a lot better than 12mpg with a 200-4r & your cam. Does she have a working lock up? Q-jet?

Edit ok its probably a lot the cam.

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
Good idea on re-torquing the lugs!

As for MPG, I am actually hoping for about 15 or a bit more, but planning around 12 just in case. My speedometer cable is bad so I have never been able to check my mileage. On this trip though I am going to track miles driven on GPS to figure out my mileage. The lockup converter does work, but the carb is a POS untuned Edelbrock (600 CFM) and that is my reasoning for shitty mileage. I will know tomorrow though for sure!

78PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2009
Queens,Ny
Your lucky 4.30 for premium, over here in Ny we pay 4.50 for premium fml lol

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Up in Canada, our regular works out to $4.96/gal. :(

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
78PontiacGP said:
Your lucky 4.30 for premium, over here in Ny we pay 4.50 for premium fml lol

:shock: Yikes,must be a city thing, lol, in upstate I paid $4.22 today for premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor