First Vehicle You Bought Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Bought my 1st car in 1974. It was a 1961 Chevy Bel Air 2 door sedan. 235 6 cyl with a powerglide. Top speed was 75 mph. Paid a whopping 80 bucks for her. Wish i had a pic of her to.post.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have to admit it was a 1983 Malibu Wagon, back in 1988. I was driving the family 'Estate Wagon' when I got creamed by a drunk driver. I started shopping for a Chevy squarebody truck, but they were utterly unavailable in salty Connecticut for anything close to affordable. My parents gave me the insurance claim and I added about $1500 from a loan. And the sickness went south from there. Visit the wagon thread in my signature for more of the story.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
'78 Elco. I was 17, Parents took out a loan for 3k and I paid all the payments. 305 they had just rebuilt the top end and put an Edelbrock performer intake manifold with a Holley carb. The TH350 was fresh too. I put 100k miles on it over the next 5 years, also put 3 more engines in it. I still have it but it's pretty rough now.
IMG_20180325_204642103.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
2016-10-30 21.37.21.jpg
Still got mine. I bought it in 95 for 300 bucks. It was blue with blue interior and a worn out size cylinder. My dad sold me one of the older street stock engines we had setting around. I peiced it together with used parts and stuff I traded for. I spent a year and a half sanding that car for paint while I saved up for paint supplies. I had 500 bucks in paint and my Dad's buddy shot it for me. I put in maroon interior out of a wrecked 85 Monte. I put in a big Comp cam when I wiped the old one. I have had a lot of fun with that poor car. Some day I plan to get back to it, I just have a few projects in front of right now.

Reactions: 5 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
427 Cobra with a Yenko in the trunk.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
A black 1979 Pontiac Bonneville two door with crushed red velour interior. I had 13 people in it at once. 5 in the front seat, 6 in the back seat, and two in the trunk 😂
First time I drove my regal to HS a friend jumped in the trunk marvelling how big it was. He wouldn't get out, then he posed like Rose from titanic. I said "aight then" slammed the trunk ripped out of the HS lot drove down the street and did donuts in the middle school gravel lot.
He stayed out of my trunk.
Also I jumped it about 2 foot in the air with 6 people albeit somewhat accidentally.
*waits for lesabre video*

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Yo, Turbo Zach, just a minor thought here but t'were it me, I would be exercising my weed whacker and leveling all the shrubbery around that Monte or the dampness and moisture with slowly but surely kill the lower body panels and the frame rails.

My first car was a 63 more door Impala with the 230 six and the 2 speed. Wanted a V-8 for it so scored a basket case from a local garage. 307 SBC that some woman had run the oil low on. First lesson in how all SBC's are not created equal internally. Never did get it to run right; next owner knew more about carbs than I did at the time. Long gone and probably been recycled more than once. There was enough metal in it that you could have made three toyotas out of it and had leftovers to build a subaru.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor