Fixing lifters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I had a ticking noise coming from my left side valve cover and this is what I found. I wasn't disappointed hahaha.

But no seriously, it's a bit of a relief. I pulled the valve cover, checked the rocker arms and they were all fine, checked the oil level, it was a little low but not much, so I topped it off. It's just... ticking. Almost at the same rate as the blinker flasher. Goes away when I give it some gas though so only at low speed.

Either way, reading these responses, I'm less worried about it now than I was.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I'll put 'er in when I do my next oil change. She's only got about 450 miles on the motor so I'm guessing it's partly due to the break in oil being straight 30W with break-in additives.
That makes it even more worrisome. Flat tappet camshafts are failing more and more today no matter what precautions are being made during break in and they are not failing right away. Many are failing after months of driving. I would be doing the pushrod check. Paint a mark on the pushrods and disconnect the coil. Crank the engine and make sure all the marks move. If they don't you have a lobe and lifter going flat.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Buford I wouldn't get too excited yet. The first thing I would do is re-adjust your lifters. It's easy to be off slightly setting them statically. I have a set of covers and used a greenlee punch to made holes to adjust w/o oil spaying all over. Make sure your adjusting nuts are in good shape and not backing off - I like poly locks. Also if you don't have screw-in studs make sure the studs aren't pulling out. I have never lost a flat tappet cam, it's all about the break-in firing up the engine and getting it to 3000. Too many people don't remove it inner springs when applicable thinking it's too hard change causing their own problems.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
False alarm on the ticking. It started getting worse today and I realized that it was an exhaust leak, not a lifter. Didn't sound like an exhaust leak at ALL when it first started! Tightened up the bolts, and sure enough the sound went away completely. I'd feel silly if it weren't for the fact that it definitely didn't sound at all like exhaust when it first started... it was a distinctive tick tick tick noise.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
I mean, when I had the valve cover off I should have made the connection when I realized it was happening in conjunction with the exhaust lifter on cylinder 7, but it sounded like it was coming from that lifter... but it wasn't loose or anything so I was sitting there scratching my head like an idiot lol

Reactions: 1 user

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Feeling silly is very inexpensive and if you mess with older cars for long enough, your gonna feel silly more than once.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor