Flex Fan Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Wanting to replace my stock coil fan with an aluminum flex fan...

'84 Monte Carlo 305 SBC

I have a stock fan shroud and a long water pump...

What fan size and spacer size would I need ?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Tynan, what is it about a flex fan that makes you want another one so much? Years ago I put one on a Cutlass with a 350 in it. Back then, flex fans were a fairly new concept and every speed shop in my area sold them. It accomplished three things. Created a lot of wind noise, reduced my fuel mileage and robbed horsepower. Most new cars have electric fans (not flex fans) for a reason…. The technology is superior. Have you considered getting some fans from the junkyard and wiring them in? There are several write ups on how to do this and we can help walk you through the process.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
And... ignored.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
I just want to thank you all for your contributions to this thread, I have not laughed this hard in a long time.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I know you’re dead set on the flex fan, but here’s some information for you. You can’t beat a good clutch fan, unless you step up to electric.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
7 pages in a day.

Why is everyone trying to talk Tynan out of a flex fan? Because they are a gimmick. At their inception it was deemed they were less of a drag on HP, they are lighter, and they offer more cooling (air flow) at low rpms than they do at high rpms because less air flow is needed from the fan for 10 second blasts at WOT/high rpm's. That is all pretty much marketing BS. The proven facts is that they will identify any type of cooling system issue. Meaning if your cooling system is marginally keeping your engine cool, then the addition of a flex fan will put it over the edge and you'll have overheating issues. And most importantly, they are dangerous. Personally, I couldn't live with myself if one of these blades came off and hurt someone - forget about damage to the car because that can always be fixed.

Other than that, measure your shaft from the water pump pulley surface to your current fan blade mounting surface. I'll go out on a limb and say that any spacer from 1.5-3" will work.

p.s. I asked him to measure his shaft. And I think if he put all of these threads together, then this could give the flat cam BBC thread a run for it's money on the 100+ page length in to general discussion area.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
7 pages in a day.

Why is everyone trying to talk Tynan out of a flex fans? Because they are a gimmick. At their inception it was deemed they were less of a drag on HP, they are lighter, and they offer more cooling (air flow) at low rpms than they do at high rpms because less air flow is needed from the fan for 10 second blasts at WOT/high rpm's. That is all pretty much marketing BS. The proven facts is that they will identify any type of cooling system issue. Meaning if your cooling system is marginally keeping your engine cool, then the addition of a flex fan will put it over the edge and you'll have overheating issues. And most importantly, they are dangerous. Personally, I couldn't live with myself if one of these blades came off and hurt someone - forget about damage to the car because that can always be fixed.

Other than that, measure your shaft from the water pump pulley surface to your current fan blade mounting surface. I'll go out on a limb and say that any spacer from 1.5-3" will work.

p.s. I asked him to measure his shaft. And I think if he put all of these threads together, then this could give the flat cam BBC thread a run for it's money on the 100+ page length in to general discussion area.
I don't know,that thread provided a lot of popcorn for this kid.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Of course he went in with the most confrontive attitude possible. The factory GM 4 blade fixed fan cools very well if he was dead set on no clutch or electric fan.
ex_q100_w500_h500_images_ePIM_original_100-15373_Top.jpg

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
Well, I learned something here, at least... the flex fan on my Monte will be replaced here soon. I wasn't aware they're prone to exploding, and I don't know how old it is, but I do know it's got at least 60k miles on it. I'll be putting a clutch and fixed blade fan on it, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor