Ford to build an all new pushrod V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Sounds like this is going to be extreme heavy duty engine and be a while before it's hot rodded. I've been a GM man my whole life but when buying my motor home I had a choice between GM or Ford chassis and the Ford V 10 had the torque (pulling 9,000 lbs) and very happy with my choice. Wondering what this new engine might do. As far as Ford jokes - GM takes the cake. Bankruptcy - right!! and with the Governments permission I got screwed and tattooed, I'll leave it at that.

2016-05-29 23.10.05.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Considering Ford won't have anything other than the Mustang as far as cars before too long....my guess it will be a hot rod thing for engine swaps or its going into a truck/SUV.

From what I've read this won't be the case. This a heavy rod and block industrial engine. Something similar to GM's 8.1 Vortec and 8.8 PSI, just smaller and decades later. When I first seen some literature on this, I figured Ford has seen the writing on the wall with emissions and didn't want to lose any more of the market share in high torque, low rpm applications than the PowerStroke has already cost them. And they assumed the dual cam, 30 ft of timing chain nodular debacle wouldn't be a maintenance freindly amd reliable option either.

Presently GM is selling the LS platform in at least 3 different light duty trucks, Ford has nothing to offer in that market.

LS THE WORLD :)

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
With the exception of the Triton, my experience with the Mod motor was mostly positive. Fleet Vics regularly go 300,000+ and you can't throw a rock without hitting a 200,000 mile Expedition or F-series, most of which get minimal maintenance. They weren't major powerhouses but they weren't very large displacement either. In my years working on them I don't remember ever seeing one blown up. Only a couple with blown headgaskets. Most common thing was intake gasket leaks and bad ignition coils because the original plugs had 150k on them. Occasionally an early one would come in that had blown a plug out.
The V10s seemed to be every bit as reliable.
The Triton was a problematic POS.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sounds like this is going to be extreme heavy duty engine and be a while before it's hot rodded. I've been a GM man my whole life but when buying my motor home I had a choice between GM or Ford chassis and the Ford V 10 had the torque (pulling 9,000 lbs) and very happy with my choice. Wondering what this new engine might do. As far as Ford jokes - GM takes the cake. Bankruptcy - right!! and with the Governments permission I got screwed and tattooed, I'll leave it at that.

View attachment 107686
When I did the cam swap on my Sierra, I bought my best friend's truck from him. It was an 02 F250 2wd, extended cab long bed. What a beast! It had the V-10. I loved that truck. It was really a hard luck case (my friend really ran it into the ground) but I saved it (would have been a great non-G body project thread). I would have kept it if I had a place for it. Rough on gas but had that confident feeling you only get in a heavy vehicle with a lot of torque. Ford is not the enemy friends.

Reactions: 3 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
  • Agree
Nov 4, 2012
I've had pretty good experiences with the modular motors. I had a 4.6L Town Car than ran like a top and did sick burnouts and we pretty regularly see 5.4L 2 valve motors in fleet vehicles at work that get the snot beat out of them and outside of an occasional intake gasket they usually don't break.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I am flabbergasted at the lack of ingenuity and creativity in this thread.

Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars. This thing with a huge turbo and some tall gearing would be insane. The Grand National never rev'd to save its life - but muhgawd that low rpm torque curve!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Would be a great swap for a 5th gen thunderbird if I ever get one again:
941009_987088798050296_371057052715961950_n.jpg

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor