Front and Rear springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Need some advice on this one.

I'm to the point now where i need to pickup the new shocks and springs, i'm going through http://jrmotorsports.com/, another guy on here suggested it, and my friend who races gets allot of stuff from here.

Does anybody know the specifications of the stock front, and rear, springs and shocks to an 1988 Monte Carlo SS ?? Things like, Spring Lb rate, length's..ext

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
yeah im with you i kind of had a similar question... i have an 86 and i dont think the suspension is blown out but its got the luxury bpoat floaty springs and im looking for some stiffer rate springs for the rear in particular, the fronts dont have to change right away... but i dont personally know much about suspension

gjlaw8

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2010
Any Malibu or Monte Carlo with F41 Suspension will work. Not sure of the rates, but there are several people that make em. They may list them as heavy duty suspension. I am assuming you are not trying to lower it. Also, noticed you have HH in your signature, are you a full time resident?? I also live in HH...

Jerry
90 X-NCSHP Caprice
91 X-CHP Mustang
77 Nova 9C1
83 Malibu 9C1 (Coming Soon)

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Camaro Adam 73 said:
Need some advice on this one.

I'm to the point now where i need to pickup the new shocks and springs, i'm going through http://jrmotorsports.com/, another guy on here suggested it, and my friend who races gets allot of stuff from here.

Does anybody know the specifications of the stock front, and rear, springs and shocks to an 1988 Monte Carlo SS ?? Things like, Spring Lb rate, length's..ext

Check maliburacing.com they have a very good chart that shows all the Moog springs and all the heights and rates, and what fits what. I found it very helpful. choosing springs for my El Camino.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Wow that website is great! :D Thanks for the info guys, much appriciated.

Still have some questions though, This website Jrmotorsports is confusing me, hah.

I'm looking at the AFCO series springs, and trying to determine which would best fit, and no I'm not trying to lower my car, but i think it might have already been lowered.

They are giving some weird measurement chioces, " 5 1/2 by 9 1/2 , or 5" by 9 1/2" " http://www.jrmotorsports.com/subCategor ... 377&cat=41 , which one would best suite me??

I know this is hard to determine, especially from a picture but, The car has a chevy 350 in it during this picture, all iron. No /AC components, 225/60/15's in the front and 255/60/15's in the rear( Tires), 15 X 8 " rims. Does it look like it sits low??
normal_Montenewrims.jpg

I didn't really know untill i got back up here to PA and started tearing it down, but there's ALLOT of stuff that has been changed with this car, by that i mean totally not stock. Example, i just learned to tell the difference between a 7.5 and an 8.5 10 bolt rear end, i have to look harder but i either have an 8.2, or 8 1/2 rear in it. And it's fully posi, no slip.

Jerry, no not anymore. If you live on the island that you might have heard of Elevator Lift Sys in bluffton? thats where i was working, but i got laid off and couldn't find another job for the life of me, so i moved to PA for awhile, I'm from HH and plan on moving back as soon as i can, winters ****ing SUCK up here.

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
are they the springs that came with the car.... what im seeing is that i have 275 50 15s on my rear right now and u should have almost an inch more sidewall than me to show so in reality ur just fighting the same problem i am in the fact that if you got oe replacements youd probably see about .5 to an inch improvement but me personally i think i decided im gonna move to something more like moog 5661 if it is the way i think it is... the 5661 compresses to a lower size on full load but withstands more weight so with the weight of a gbody i should see about 2-3 inches improvement over oe replacements so im hoping between 2 and 4 inches improvement from right now... ill post a picture of my rear as it sits now tomorrow to show the *ss im working with now but i read through http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... JroRLwzxrQ all day and i think the 5661 will be the best buy without moving to leaf springs because personally im going for a california dip almost

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
stock 14" checker boards with 195 60 14s
39534_444537963001_668763001_5296645_2051176_n.jpg

Centerlines 15" with 275 50 15 hoosier 4ply quicktimes
69856_444534823001_668763001_5296623_7394055_n.jpg

ok now a couple things, i didnt get around to taking this picture until well after work cuz i was just sitting around bullshitting talking about suspension stuff and i was like **** i wanted to take that picture for that guy and so i rush to air the b*tch up and put her on so in the photo shes held on but like 2 bolts and probably only like 15 lbs of air haha so like i said i think were both fighting beat springs and i dunno how many people on this site have access to parts pages instead of sales pages for companies but i was going through inventory and i found CC651 springs which are application for monte carlo and grandprix i think... the parts pages unfortunately dont give specs i think you have to get the part order for that but anyways http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/pr ... MOOG-CC651 those are the springs and they sell 2 different springs with the same part # like sneaky bastards and the one set looks boss as **** like theyd hold up the ifle tower but yeah i think were both dealing with just old beat springs... ill probably end up getting the cc651s so i dont have to change shocks cuz thats just more effort >< and thatll probably be the week after i get tubes for my hoosiers and if ur still wondering by then look out and ill post some before after pictures for the people who dont wanna be grocery getters

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor