Front license plat bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
I'm looking for a front plate bracket for my 86 Cutlass. Looks like they range from 59 by is to 300. Do any fit better then the others? I'm not buying a 300 dollar one that's for sure. Lol

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Im parting an 86 GP that should work. It's a little bent but you can straighten it out just fine. $5 plus shipping if you want it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Olds G47 plate holder is unique to that make/body style.

22506528 is the part number. There are repros out there as well. That $300 one on ebay is an original NOS GM unit. Those are made of unobtanium right now. Thank goodness I have a small unobtanium stock pile of those.

It's easy to tell a repro license plate holder. They have a small divot in the middle of them. The genuine GM part has a smooth face on them without that divot.

REPRO:

GENUINE GM:

FRONT-LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET-NEW-81-88-CUTLASS.jpg

And, according to the parts book, there's also supposed to be some standoff nylon nuts, p/n 559547. This is really a round peg that fits in a square hole. Without the thicker nut you may strain the bracket mounting points which leads to breakage and loss of bracket. I've never had the bracket off the 85 so I'll have to check it out. I believe there was the standard license plate nylon square nuts on the upper section of the bumper but I think these were used on the bottom. Again, I'll have to check. Amazingly, I just found this out recently. The parts book doesn't really specify the nylon nut use but it's right under the bracket listings. Which is odd because the call out is for all the series using the same nuts and number per car is "AR" (as required). It's also called out to be used in a couple other places on the car but can't recall where at the moment. I'm just wondering if the factory even used these kind.

Nos-License-Plate-Nuts-4-1976-1981-Chevy-Corvette.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
At one time, I didn't use the standoffs and just like you said, the added strain broke the top mounting points to the point of making the entire assembly unusable. Those 559547 standoffs appear to be available in a lot of places. Seems the repro plate bracket would work and look just fine.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
thanks for the info guys.. does the repop bracket need the stand offs?
I've never had a repro, but they claim it's just like the original, so I would say....yes.

Clips and fasteners make repro standoff nuts as well and they sell them through Amazon, but I can't find them on their website. They're on ebay too. I just don't have any idea of their quality.

I got a couple bags of NOS GM ones of the standoffs (40 total) because I bought them for that other purpose, which I can't recall which purpose that was. I'll figure it out. When I take the car apart, I'm sure I'll see where they go.

Not 100% sure on this, but I'm thinking for the front bracket, 2 standoff nuts go on at the bottom, and the 2 square flat ones go on the top for bracket screw mounting. The rear plate I know has the 2 nylon nuts, well, one square flat one and the black "hook" nut for pulling down the bracket.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Couldn't you just bend the plate across your thigh to put the curvature in?
You could. If you're neck was red. :) If you want to do it right, you won't.

The GM part number for the flat square nylon nuts is 4755299 or 3907444. They're interchangeable. These are likely the nylon deals you can find at all the auto parts stores. Advice, get the thick-ish yellow nylon ones. The pure white/black are made of very poor plastic that gets brittle with age. My BIL never listens and he bought those inferior kind and his crap always breaks.

BTW, the unobtanium pull handle is GM p/n 14068832.

licenseplatepull-jpg.106558

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor