Fuel line won't seal.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have Classic on my truck and Right Stuff on the 67. I've cut the IT kit up for custom lines because they wouldn't take it back.

565, the Cunifer doesn't rust, BUT the tube nuts do! I just leaned that the hard way, and replaced with SS.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
565, the Cunifer doesn't rust, BUT the tube nuts do! I just leaned that the hard way, and replaced with SS.
Mine have a plating on them and the Regal sat outside for the first year and a half after doing them and they still look the same.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Thanks for the tip...I might just try that...saved all my old tubing for reference.Never did any flaring before but seen it done,i think I can do it.
I used this on every brake line on my Regal, you can bend this tubing by hand and I zip tied it to my original lines as I would make each bend to make sure it matched.
The front lines I wrapped around a piece of tubing to get the coils and double flaring is a breeze with this tubing since it conforms so well.
I spent around $100 total and still probably have enough line and fittings to do another GBody.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the tip...I might just try that...saved all my old tubing for reference.Never did any flaring before but seen it done,i think I can do it.

you might want to practice with a few pieces making the flairs with the cunifer. It's pretty soft so it takes less pressure than do a steel line.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that copper/nickel is sweet,you can buy the tube nuts in stainless for a nice touch.i bought some pre-bent the stainless.but even the annealed stuff is a huge pain.i had the two flared @a hydraulic shop.never again.

Onehit

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2013
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Okay well with the new fuel pump and a little bit of Teflon tape at the pump side, I got this fuel line to seal no more leaks. I had spin the top clamp on the thermostat housing to get it to sit just right.
1522980023567540853502.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay well with the new fuel pump and a little bit of Teflon tape at the pump side, I got this fuel line to seal no more leaks. I had spin the top clamp on the thermostat housing to get it to sit just right.
View attachment 86269

Try your best to get that Teflon tape out of there. As mentioned before, gasoline WILL eat it, and it WILL start to leak again.

The way those fittings are designed, 100% of your sealing comes from the fitment of the flared surfaces, NOT from the threads. That is the difference between flared fittings and pipe thread fittings. Pipe thread seals on the threads as they’re tapered. The more you turn a pipe thread fitting in, the tighter it gets and the better it will seal. Flared fittings like the one you’re dealing with do not work the same way.
Just a quick education in case you didn’t know.

And FWIW, I’m an air compressor tech and deal with fittings every day building complete compressed air systems so I know my fittings.

Good luck with it, it’s looking great. Don’t get discouraged, it’s all just part of the game.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Monte4ever

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2018
Google Parker 2GF-3 45 Degree Fitting, Flare, Brass, Flare Gasket, 3/16". I had the same problem with their SS lines going from the hard line to flex line junction at the rear end and at the proportional valve. These gaskets hooked me right up. I'm not sure of what size you need but I'm sure they have what you need.

Reactions: 1 users

Onehit

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2013
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Try your best to get that Teflon tape out of there. As mentioned before, gasoline WILL eat it, and it WILL start to leak again.

The way those fittings are designed, 100% of your sealing comes from the fitment of the flared surfaces, NOT from the threads. That is the difference between flared fittings and pipe thread fittings. Pipe thread seals on the threads as they’re tapered. The more you turn a pipe thread fitting in, the tighter it gets and the better it will seal. Flared fittings like the one you’re dealing with do not work the same way.
Just a quick education in case you didn’t know.

And FWIW, I’m an air compressor tech and deal with fittings every day building complete compressed air systems so I know my fittings.

Good luck with it, it’s looking great. Don’t get discouraged, it’s all just part of the game.
Thanks for the heads up I'm not comfortable with the Teflon tape on there either I'm actually looking for another line

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor