Fuel pump or carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think it's either the fuel pump or carburetor. A mechanical fuel pump does not not continuously fail after 20 minutes and there is nothing in the carb that will stop the fuel flow. If you have an inline fuel filter I'd be looking at that and if not I'd be dropping the tank and removing the sender to see if there is anything in the tank and the condition of the sock and the metal tube line that draws the fuel.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Sounds like the fuel filter at the carb needs to be replaced

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
when you take your carb off is there puddles of gas in the intake?could be badly leaking well plugs on that quadrajet.or a sticking choke.try putting a screwdriver in the air horn between the choke blade and wall to see if it still tries to die

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
or completely out of tune...i mean no disrespect but if youve never rebuilt a quadrajet they can be pretty tricky.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
You would be amazed hot heat affects things, check your rubber lines from the tank up, make sure they aren't in bad shape (possibly collapsing) replace the fuel pump (heat can expand parts and make them less effective) this is based on if you have a old stock fuel pump, if its a newer parts store replacement fuel pump, consider replacing it anyway because its probably made in china (that alone causes many problems) your temp is normal for a stock car and you're runnning a Qjet so scratch that spacer, but your float or needle may be getting stuck in the closed position. maybe the Qjet gurus can chime in.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Sounds like the fuel filter at the carb needs to be replaced

The fuel filter at the carb is the likely culprit. A $3 filter has caused me the same problem once before.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor