Fuel pump or carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I changed my fuel filter yesterday havnt had time to run the engine long enough. the fuel pump on this engine seems to be the orignal fuel pump.
Well let's get to it, don't leave us hanging.o_O

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I changed my fuel filter yesterday havnt had time to run the engine long enough. the fuel pump on this engine seems to be the orignal fuel pump.

In that case I would replace the fuel pump for the sake of reliability and be picky what you buy. I bought a Carter for my project and it was made in the USA. It was so inexpensive I expected it to be China.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Your experiencing vapor lock. My dads 82 Chevy truck done the same thing but only this time of year. Two years ago, we put on a phenolic spacer and it stopped it. If your buying fuel with ethanol in it, this DOES happen. Yes Q-Jets came on these cars from factory but ethanol was not in fuel at that time. I think a lot has to do with the state your in regarding temps and humidity. If its in the 90s or higher, that'll do it. Vapor lock was common when my dad was younger because ethanol was at the pump. He said they used to put wooden clothes pins on their carb feed lines. It sounds crazy to me too. It happened to me on a 55 Chevy about 6 years ago. Got about 20 minutes into my highway drive on the way to a show and it died. Had nothing squirting. After it cooled down about a half hour it started right up and made it to the show. It done it again on the way home. Put on a phenolic spacer and it never did it again. If you've ever, this time of year, pulled into somewhere like a gas station and got back in to start it and it acted flooded, your experiencing it too.

• Agree

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Read the reviews about vapor lock. Keep in mind that this raises your carb a 1/2". You will ned longer bolts or look at the suggested parts to the right. There is a stud kit. You may have hood clearance issue so be careful when closing your hood.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-64941/overview/

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I got a chance to replace the fuel pump this afternoon. Does anyone have any pictures of the gas vent line ran to a filter ?

You're in luck. I just happened to be in the garage and the car is up on stands when I read this.
The feed line is 3/8", but the vent line is only 5/16". I've removed the charcoal canister and all the smog related crap on mine, so this is what I did to ensure the tank is still vented.

I simply cut and removed the hosed portion of the vent line under the trunk floor and installed this small K&N filter on the tank side. You can either crimp off or remove the rest of the vent hardline going to the front of the car.
I've done this mod on two of my G bodies now, and experience no fuel delivery issues, or nasty gas smells.
HTH.

image.jpeg

86regaldrvr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2015
Southern Ontario
Sounds like the problems I was having with my Regal last year. Hard starting, poor idle, very little fuel from the accelerator pump squirters, surging during part throttle on the highway and so on. It turned out to be a multi cause problem.

In order starting at the back, fuel tank lines rotted at the sender sucking air, hole in the top of the tank where a foam block on the fuel lines held moisture causing fuel odours.
Fuel pump not pumping enough volume to run and start under various conditions after lines replaced, pump replaced. Fuel filter in the carb inlet in backwards, unknown how long it had been that way.

Carb had sludge buildup in the float bowl and into the jets and passageways. The car run very well after those repairs till about 2 weeks ago.

Now this year similar problems again, found the filter plugged from sludge in the fuel tank. Everything is good now, run like a clock. See" What did you do to your G-body today", thread.The tank was replaced with a used tank after the original rusted out last year. The vent line is still good so it vents to its original position.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Other have said it, but sounds exactly like Vapor Lock/fuel boiling at the engine. 220 is WAY too hot for any non race engine. 200 max is where engines like to be. 180-190 is optimal. Check your fan clutch, fan, cooling system and thermostat. If that doesn't solve it, at least you wont be on the bring of baking your engine to death.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor