Fuel Sending Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I see what you're saying. The applications for the one I listed, shows for all the g-body cars even though I entered the specs for my wagon.

Would you or anyone else have an accurate part number for the wagon sending unit?

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
nobody at this point in time makes a replacement g-body sending unit. there is a place in ny if you send them your old one they will refurbish it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know what kind of problem you are having with the sender but my gauge wasn't reading right so I changed the sender which was worse than the first. Changing it out again my gauge was still not correct. The actual problem was the pink wire that carries the signal to the gauge. I put in a new pink wire from the connection of the sender to the gauge and I have not had anymore issues (with the gas gauge being accurate that is)

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
The previous owner disclosed that he was having problems with the gauge. He confessed to swapping out the sending unit but I have reason to believe that he put a generic g-body sending unit in its place instead of one specifically for wagons. So the original is long gone. The gauge only reads 1/4 full even if it's topped completely off.

I guess my next plan of attack will be to try and source a used one and see if that works. If it doesn't then I'll try and have it refurbished.

Reactions: 1 user

abadwillys

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2016
NY
Would you or anyone else have an accurate part number for the wagon sending unit?

You may get lucky and find one, I did, scored a NOS one pretty recently on E-bay, and im not a E-bay person, i just happed to look one night, because im swapping out my almost 40 yr old gas tank for a new one soon and was going to replace the sending unit too.

So here is the part #
Good Luck!
IMG_0517.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Does anyone happen to have a wagon tank removed from their car that they can give me the depth measurement through the sending unit hole to the bottom?

With this measurement, I can attempt to engineer my own unit combining two units: A coupe/sedan unit that I'm going to lengthen to reach closer to the bottom of the tank and a universal (aka: adjustable) unit that I'll steal the electronics from. This came from Summit and is designed to be used in racing fuel cells. But it doesn't have provisions to feed fuel, only a signal.

With the depth measurement in hand, I can bench build the piece without dropping the tank in my car so I can continue to drive it while I get this set up.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
There is, on this forum a post from ssn696, who changed out his fuel sender with one from an astro van. I have also done this on my 83 Malibu wagon and it works beautifully. I swapped out the blown stock engine for an L31 5.7 vortec engine with no mechanical fuel pump provision so I needed to go electric. As I am not independently wealthy, it needed to be cheap. I did as ssn696 advised in the thread "4.3 TBI in a wagon" (https://gbodyforum.com/threads/4-3-tbi-in-wagon.53381/page-2) and installed the pump. I used a return style fuel pressure regulator and returned the fuel through the vent line that would have gone to the charcoal canister, if it existed in my car anymore. I have a constant 6.5 psi and plenty of volume for my mild 350. only thing I haven't had time to sort out is why the fuel gauge only ready 1/4 tank when full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor