Queens, NY
1662315586084.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Again Qjets are application specific carbs which is why they run better than generic one size fits all Holleys and other aftermarket junk, including aftermarket EFI.

So to convert a LS to non computer requires buying expensive aftermarket sub par quality junk that must be special ordered and likely to be discontinuted. Not good for SHTF. Sadly hotrodding with ICE is goingbto SHTF sooner than we think.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Let me throw this one at you...

Out of all these people who scream caveman carburetor, how many of them have daily driver vehicles that are modern electronic fuel injection where they get in, turn the key, and drive everywhere because they start up when they need them too and they get good gas mileage..

Eric Cartman Laughing GIF by South Park
Ok, I can defend that move. I would lose my damn mind if the better half had a 70-80s vintage vehicle. She is fabulous lady but I would be forever boosting or explaining the choke function in the winters up here.

There is a place for EFI, there is a place for carbs and point ignition. To pretend that a SBC isn't more of a belly button swap than an LS is completely ignoring the previous 60 years of hot rodding. If you wanna be retro cool do a boosted 292 straight 6, a nailhead, caddy or anything Pontiac. Buick and olds engines design sucked, they didn't have aftermarket support because they sucked and hating modern tech irrationally won't change that.

Told You So Mic Drop GIF by FullMag

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I probably am getting 300 hrp out of a six cylinder rated at 175hrp with a carb. Just saying, and I have hurt a few big block muscle car guys feelings. Different strokes for different folks!

Reactions: 4 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Let me throw this one at you...

Out of all these people who scream caveman carburetor, how many of them have daily driver vehicles that are modern electronic fuel injection where they get in, turn the key, and drive everywhere because they start up when they need them too and they get good gas mileage..
hell yeah! I got the Gen IV LS motor with AFM in an 08 silverado that....ohhhh...uhhhh

-had the AFM lifter #7 lock up on me, so I had to disable AFM in the computer (at least I didn't have to replace $500 in AFM specific parts)
-but it got great highway mileage of 18-19mpg when it worked! but now that's it disabled I get ...... 17.5-18.5....

but yeah, I got that LS going on for me (y) because, you know, it's all electronic while my old '86 El Camino with SBC will probably get around 20mpg with a....CCC carburetor? :wtf:

San Dimas HS LS Engines Rule!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
hell yeah! I got the Gen IV LS motor with AFM in an 08 silverado that....ohhhh...uhhhh

-had the AFM lifter #7 lock up on me, so I had to disable AFM in the computer (at least I didn't have to replace $500 in AFM specific parts)
-but it got great highway mileage of 18-19mpg when it worked! but now that's it disabled I get ...... 17.5-18.5....

but yeah, I got that LS going on for me (y) because, you know, it's all electronic while my old '86 El Camino with SBC will probably get around 20mpg with a....CCC carburetor? :wtf:

San Dimas HS LS Engines Rule!
You did better thanmy '08. Same thing with #7 but it wiped out the motor. Told the selling GM dealership while under warranty but claimed they never heard the lifter tick. Happened after they cancelled the "life time" warranty cause I did the spark plugs myself. Not a cheap replacement.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
... while my old '86 El Camino with SBC will probably get around 20mpg with a....CCC carburetor? :wtf:...
My lame Cutlass gets a pretty consistent 20mpg with the caveman Q-jet and HEI. No computer needed. Never let me down in 14 years. I'd jump in it right now and drive it anywhere without hesitation. Still probably good for a solid mid-16 ET.

No meme to illustrate.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor