Future 383cid Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
BP seems the better deal for what you get versus the SMEDING short block, no debating that.

But i have to question/compare the HP ratings of both...

The SMEDING is rated 450HP using their own 2.02/1.60 65cc chamber 180cc heads, 9.8:1 compression, 231/236 .510/.521 111CL camshaft, but no mention of what intake and carburation used to arrive at those numbers, i would like to think, a high rise dual plane, or perhaps single plane and 750cfm DP carburator.

The BluePrint is rated 436HP using their own 2.02/1.60 64cc chamber 195cc heads, 10:1 compression, 230/236 .544/.555 110CL camshaft, but looks to use a high rise squarebore dual plane intake and 750cfm vacsec carburator.

More HP(+14) from a smaller intake runner head versus less HP from a larger intake runner, both cams similar in intake and exhaust duration and center line numbers, but with different lifts on both, compression very close, might as well be just about equal, i guess bigger isnt always better depending on flow characteristics of the cylinder head.

I now its a ver minute difference in HP, but i like details, im by no means an engine builder, but i like to get intimate enough to know whats going on in every nook and cranny of an engine.

SS_Malibu..... is your BP 383 the very same we are talking about, if so, 450HP sounds more right on par with the parts used in their description.

Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
It may have a slight rise to the intake. I'm not too sure. But it is a square bore dual plane manifold. Like you, I'm not an engine builder so that's why I went with this block. Most complete, good name and quality and a warranty. The nice thing about the dyno sheet is its for this engine not a representative of what this combo can put out. There are some tour videos for blueprint on YouTube that are pretty good. I think some guy out of Texas does them.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Found two BP videos and a seperate tour of the place... 1st is an actual 383 dyno run, 2nd is dyno testing and 3rd is the tour of the place.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the thing about company based video's like that is they're pure marketing,you're getting spoon fed what they want you to see.it seems like you're getting some real world feedback on here.that's always good.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Yes... real world feedback here is good, theres a couple BP engine owners on YT as well, they seem content with their purchase.

Heres more info on the SMEDING PERFORMANCE place.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
That tour video is the one that was done by the guy in Texas. (SW machine or something like that) I didn't really see it as a marketing video. He asks questions along the way and they show what is involved when building one of their engines. I just found it pretty cool and informative.

Reactions: 1 user

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I went with the bp 383 forged short block and then topped it with afr 195 heads. So no clue on the actual hp numbers but at 9.5:1 ratio and the smaller cam I’m able to keep up with my dads 350 10.5:1 with the same heads and a much more radical cam. The cam in my short block is fairly mild and has a mild lope at idle but works very nicely with fuel injection and power brakes. For what you want the blueprint motors especially in the new block would be a great option. Not sure if summit is going to be running a deal for the holidays on them with summit bucks but if they do that’s even better so you get some cash to pay for all the extra little parts that you’ll need.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
It’s marketing. Would you rather buy a 377 or a 383? No one really cares one block is not bored and better overall just that it would smaller. General buyers are easily swayed by sizes

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
BP seems the better deal for what you get versus the SMEDING short block, no debating that.

But i have to question/compare the HP ratings of both...

The SMEDING is rated 450HP using their own 2.02/1.60 65cc chamber 180cc heads, 9.8:1 compression, 231/236 .510/.521 111CL camshaft, but no mention of what intake and carburation used to arrive at those numbers, i would like to think, a high rise dual plane, or perhaps single plane and 750cfm DP carburator.

The BluePrint is rated 436HP using their own 2.02/1.60 64cc chamber 195cc heads, 10:1 compression, 230/236 .544/.555 110CL camshaft, but looks to use a high rise squarebore dual plane intake and 750cfm vacsec carburator.

More HP(+14) from a smaller intake runner head versus less HP from a larger intake runner, both cams similar in intake and exhaust duration and center line numbers, but with different lifts on both, compression very close, might as well be just about equal, i guess bigger isnt always better depending on flow characteristics of the cylinder head.

I now its a ver minute difference in HP, but i like details, im by no means an engine builder, but i like to get intimate enough to know whats going on in every nook and cranny of an engine.

SS_Malibu..... is your BP 383 the very same we are talking about, if so, 450HP sounds more right on par with the parts used in their description.
Yes. Mine is the same one we're talking about. It's advertised at 436 hp but the advertised is minimum HP/TQ numbers. Mine will come alive even more once I move the rear gears up to upper 2's low 3"s. I still want to keep freeway capabilities with my 3 speed automatic.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor